VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would be the ideal Pentium 1 speed to use (if possible) to run with a Voodoo1 and PCI 2D Card for later DOS (maybe Win95) gaming but also be able to disable cache (interal / external or both) and get 386 DX-33 speeds to play Wing Commander properly?

Can this be achieved?

Reply 5 of 13, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all.....would a 200 do the trick as well as a 233?

If not, can anyone rwcommend a board for a 233? My ss7 asus board appears to have bit the dust and the other regular socket 7 board I have isnt great with a 515x sis chipset and will only do 200....

Reply 8 of 13, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Smack2k wrote on 2020-05-16, 11:08:

Thanks all.....would a 200 do the trick as well as a 233?

If not, can anyone rwcommend a board for a 233? My ss7 asus board appears to have bit the dust and the other regular socket 7 board I have isnt great with a 515x sis chipset and will only do 200....

There are lots of good SS7 boards. Asus P5A and you don't need to worry about revision with the Pentium. How much are you willing to spend?

Reply 9 of 13, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ASUS p5A is the board I was talking about biting the dust....at least it seems it has.......I think it got shorted as I cant get it to power on, otherwise I'd be set....

Spend? Ideally Id not to not break the bank. I'd love to find another P5A as I dont know if I can fix this one......once you plug a power supply in, the keyboard lights start blinking and the fans start going but nothing else.

What a 233 Slot 1 Pentium 2? I have a good ASUS board I could use with that.....has everything else I need on it.

If I want to go back to 386 DX-33 land though, will an AGP card be OK for that?

Reply 10 of 13, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the board outside a case, just to rule out something poking it.

My favorite S7 right now would be the "p5VX-BE". Intel Triton 2 chipset, supports MMX (ver 1.3 at least does) has a SDRAM slot. USB+PS2 pins on the board, just need a little breakout cable for them.
Actually works nativly with DMA in Windows 95 😜 (Could never get that working with VIA boards)

233 Slot 1 might be nice, would certainly give you a boost on those 9x based games. But IMO Slot 1/P2/p3 territory is when you really start to loose that great DOS-timemachine compatibility and become more of a windows focused build

Reply 12 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-05-18, 03:07:
Check the board outside a case, just to rule out something poking it. […]
Show full quote

My favorite S7 right now would be the "p5VX-BE". Intel Triton 2 chipset, supports MMX (ver 1.3 at least does) has a SDRAM slot. USB+PS2 pins on the board, just need a little breakout cable for them.
Actually works nativly with DMA in Windows 95 😜 (Could never get that working with VIA boards)

233 Slot 1 might be nice, would certainly give you a boost on those 9x based games. But IMO Slot 1/P2/p3 territory is when you really start to loose that great DOS-timemachine compatibility and become more of a windows focused build

I dunno 486 always felt snappier than a Celeron 266

Reply 13 of 13, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-05-18, 03:07:
Check the board outside a case, just to rule out something poking it. […]
Show full quote

I've had it out of the case already as well and its doing the same thing......so not too sure where the error is...

Looks like I will build this and a DX-33 386 to get what I need!