VOGONS

First post, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a NEC Accusync 700 CRT monitor that I bought new in box a few years ago (a bit expensive, but hey).

Everything displayed on it has a greenish tint now. It started out flickering between normal and greenish, and now it's always greenish.

The on-screen display to adjust brightness/contrast/etc. displays perfectly in normal colors, so it isn't the tube/guns/etc. but something involving the VGA signal.

I have a Sun Ultra 5 that I plugged it into recently. That machine has a "native" VGA port (no adapter required) and I don't think it uses sync-on-green. Nevertheless, if it does, could I have fried something?

I also have a PS/2 30-286 that has a more thorough POST than a modern machine, and when I power it on plugged into this monitor I get some beep tones, and an error code 2401 as if it can tell something electrical is wrong.

Is it likely enough that it's the cable that I should look into safely working on CRTs enough to replace the cable? (It's an old-style hard-wired one not detachable like on some of the last CRTs or an LCD). Whenever coronavirus is over enough, there's a hackerspace near me with a lot of mechanically minded people I could get help from (they also helped me successfully re-cap a Macintosh LC II board). And any suggestions on where to find a cable as it seems difficult to search for.

Could I have blown a fuse?

Or, is everything a coincidence and it's just other electrical components (capacitors, etc.) worn out?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sounds like a bad cable to me. I have seen many monitors where the cable has got damaged where it enters the monitor, if you wiggle the cable can you get proper colors back ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:53:

This sounds like a bad cable to me. I have seen many monitors where the cable has got damaged where it enters the monitor, if you wiggle the cable can you get proper colors back ?

Me too ! seen the ones that were brass plated inside (instead of gold plated or plain steel) get a dark petina and loose some contacts.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:53:

Moving the cable around seemed to be correlated with the flickering at first, but it doesn't do anything now. I wonder if something finally gave way.

Are these cables pretty standard?

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have replaced the cables several times, there usually is some need to rearrange pins in the connectors in the monitor as they rarely have same ordering. Your RGB signals are easy to identify but sync and DDC ones can take effort to find without a multimeter.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Open up the monitor and inspect all the solder joints for circular fractures around each solder pins.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.