VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought 3 rather old SSD, M-systems 4000 IDE Flash disk's in 2gb size to be exact. I was thinning of running them in raid 1 on a retro 9x gaming system.
My question is would running them in raid 1 lower their longevity at all? I'm thinking it should not make a difference at all. Both drives should be getting the same read and rights as if I was just running one drive.

Also would anyone have any tips on setting up such a old SSD in a way that would get the most life and performance out of them? I know old SSD's are not like the ones we have today and want to get the most out of them.

Reply 1 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
austinham wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:32:

I'm thinking it should not make a difference at all. Both drives should be getting the same read and rights as if I was just running one drive.

That's correct, until the RAID needs a rebuild. That will most-likely kill the SSD.

Are these SSDs just old, or also already used?

Reply 2 of 4, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:48:
austinham wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:32:

I'm thinking it should not make a difference at all. Both drives should be getting the same read and rights as if I was just running one drive.

That's correct, until the RAID needs a rebuild. That will most-likely kill the SSD.

Are these SSDs just old, or also already used?

They were listed used witch is kind of scary. New old SSDs are rather pricey. I'm just going to use them for the OS and nothing more.

EDIT: I pulled up a speck sheet for the drive. 3.8mbs max reads and 3.4mbs max wright. So yeah ops, I cancelled the order.

Reply 4 of 4, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-18, 17:30:

Better off with a modern SSD with adapters, IMHO .

Wile that is very true. I want to keep the system I'm working on 100% vintage. So for the time being its wd raptor's.