VOGONS

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have an older system running FF on Win7. The last update causes a Update Now drop down on top right side every time FF is launched. Is there a way to stop it ? Yes I know that Win 7 is not very old OS so not really vintage but the old system is soc478 which sorta of is. Tried some of the methods posted online (other than reverting to a previous version) but nothing works to stop it. Any suggestions ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long shot, if the video card is recent enough to have hardware acceleration in Firefox, maybe try disabling that .

EDIT: Re-read your message . Not what I thought initially. My suggestion does not apply, sorry .

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Figured it out. As of FF 64 you cannot disable Notify about updates, it was removed from the Options menu.
"You can create a policies.json file and store that file into the
‘C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution’ folder.
Create a ‘distribution’ folder in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that
policies.json file into that folder with the following contents:

{
"policies":
{
"DisableAppUpdate": true
}
}

That's it."
NOTE: Above thanks to EP at Winaero
The "DisableAppUpdate": line can only be true or false. To restore Update notifications just delete the policies.json
Do not create and add the .json file (or delete it) with FF running.
That is all ! And it works ! Top picture is what happens every time I launched FF before the fix, and it happened at about 10 min intervals. A very annoying balloon popup. Bottom picture shows Options and updates disabled.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Filename
    Image2.jpg
    File size
    19.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    25.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun