VOGONS

New Corsair RMi PSUs shipped with solid 24-pin cable ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello (Corsair RMi=Channel Well Technology or CWT)
Is it possible to buy a real 20+4-pin cable to Corsair RMi-models ?
- 2020 models are shipped only with a 24-pin cable and the 4-pin part is not detachable anymore.
It is a solid whole 24-pin connector. It is not possible to detach that "4-pin" part like it used to be.
- The same connector is missing also -5V was this a thing on Pentium III 20-pin ?

+ Oh and that micro USB link cable has only an internal USB connector.
Can I use a basic: micro USB to regular USB to attach the PSU to laptop to read the amperage draw and such ?

Attachments

• cablesplitd.jpg
    Filename
    cablesplitd.jpg
    File size
    74.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by user33331 on 2020-05-20, 13:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-20, 13:38:

I usually don't have any problems with just plugging in the solid 24 atx cables just let the 4 extra pins hang over. Worst case pick up a short extension cable with the detachable 4 pins.

I pinged Corsair about that on the 14th of May and have yet to hear back (not blaming them as the delay they mention is 4 to 6 business days due to the COVID-19 situation) . That said, I was tired of waiting so I ordered a Startech ATX2024FM . I would prefer a complete ATX cable with detachable 4-pin connector, but I will settle for the adapter if I have to .

Reply 4 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-20, 14:00:

Just use a razor blade and cut it off. That is, if it's needed at all. It may just fit the way it is.

I do not know about OP's situation, but my PSU has a 10-year warranty that I would prefer not to void this early in the game . Not to mention that if this PSU has insufficient juice on the 5V rail, I would prefer to still be able to use it in another, probably more modern system .

Reply 5 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
user33331 wrote on 2020-05-20, 13:34:

Can I use a basic: micro USB to regular USB to attach the PSU to laptop to read the amperage draw and such ?

I do not see why you couldn't do that, if it is simply a standard micro-USB connector on the PSU end . The only thing that would worry me is the potential for a ground loop over USB if your laptop is plugged into an AC outlet with a different ground level than the one the PSU is plugged into . You may want to ask Corsair, just to be safe .

Reply 6 of 21, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I received Corsair RMi today 20.5.2020 and sent a complaint right away to Corsair about showing 20+4 in package photo+manual and shipping a wrong 24 solid connector cable.
- Last year Seasonic PSU shipped very fastly a missing molex cable in 3 days inside Europe.

Awww... should have bought that BeQuiet! PSU.
+ Here is a photo of the Corsair USB link cable.

Attachments

• usn cable.jpg
    Filename
    usn cable.jpg
    File size
    142.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 21, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
user33331 wrote on 2020-05-20, 14:41:

Awww... should have bought that BeQuiet! PSU. + Here is a photo of the Corsair USB link cable.

The manual clearly shows an internal USB header cable so I can't see how you can whinge about this, especially so as it's trivial to get/use such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143586744736

Further every PSU I have ever come across comes with an internal USB header cable as 99.42% of the time this is what is appropriate.

Reply 9 of 21, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"I can't see how you can whinge about this, "
- I don't want that Corsair/CWT PSU to occupy the only one internal USB connector that the motherboard has for other purpose. ( It is a 15-20 year old PC.) So I would prefer a basic USB to be able to plug a laptop(with modern OS=Windows 10) to PSU when I need to make the ampere measurements.

Anyone know does AXi or RMi have an internal memory for settings or does it just forget all settings when USB cable is unplugged and software is not running ? Does the USB plug have to be attached all the time and Corsair software up and running also all the time ? Can't test it because of the solid 24-pin connector. 🙁

- Ordered a 24pin to 20+4pin adapter online (China is still closed. Chinese even now close current Ebay orders saying they can't dispatch to Europe because Virus.). 🙁

Oh and no answer from Corsair. So never buying from them again. 😜
Seasonic or Bequiet! would have answered immediately.

Reply 10 of 21, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
user33331 wrote on 2020-05-21, 06:56:
"I can't see how you can whinge about this, " - I don't want that Corsair/CWT PSU to occupy the only one internal USB connector […]
Show full quote

"I can't see how you can whinge about this, "
- I don't want that Corsair/CWT PSU to occupy the only one internal USB connector that the motherboard has for other purpose. ( It is a 15-20 year old PC.) So I would prefer a basic USB to be able to plug a laptop(with modern OS=Windows 10) to PSU when I need to make the ampere measurements.

Anyone know does AXi or RMi have an internal memory for settings or does it just forget all settings when USB cable is unplugged and software is not running ? Does the USB plug have to be attached all the time and Corsair software up and running also all the time ? Can't test it because of the solid 24-pin connector. 🙁

- Ordered a 24pin to 20+4pin adapter online (China is still closed. Chinese even now close current Ebay orders saying they can't dispatch to Europe because Virus.). 🙁

Oh and no answer from Corsair. So never buying from them again. 😜
Seasonic or Bequiet! would have answered immediately.

I feel that a 5-pin rather than a 10-pin internal header would be better, but am 100% sure an internal header is the only sensible option.

I expect the only way to get an answer is to try it and given your have an RMi PSU I am at a loss as to why you have not.

I ordered some LEDs from china on 19-May-2020 which have shipped and are currently in DONGGUAN, GUANGDONG so China can't be closed 😀.

I am not in the least surprised. I have a AX1500i connected via a Corsair CLCC and ever since I have owned it I have found the CLCC firmware keeps crashing after an hour or two! I must have spent over two years trying to get Corsair to fix the CLCC firmware and they never did. I know of at least one other AX1500i owner who sees the same issue so it's not just an issue with my hardware. All in all I would never recommend Corsair and these days I get Thermaltake DPS PSUs which just work, that said they also have 24-pin only ATX connectors 🙁.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-05-21, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 21, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah takes forever...

mouser.jpg
Filename
mouser.jpg
File size
175.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

as any new mainboard has 24 pin connector why they should make it the other way ?
anyway new psu`s are often not useable for older systems, not sufficient for socket a for example

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed the RM850x today using the Startech ATX2024FM adapter and it works fine so far . Peak power usage at the outlet under load (3DMark 2001 at 1600x1200 on FX 5900 with P3 1400MHz) is 146 Watts with a load average of about 130 Watts (PF of 0.98), according to my 20$ power meter .

RM850i would have been twice as expensive (if I could even get one these days) in my neck of the woods, but it would have given me peace of mind .

EDIT : Oh , and -5V was dropped after ATX 1.3 spec, AFAICR .

Reply 14 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit late to the party but also ran into both these problems!

From Memory it was a RM550x that came with the fixed cable which I swapped with a RM750i with the split and both are working just fine.
Corsair do have a compatibility as well
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/psu-cable-compatibility

What I didn't realise was that the PSU software wasn't XP compatible I intend to run the cable out and use something like a laptop but that was over 3 yeas go and still haven't done it!

Reply 15 of 21, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-05-26, 12:52:

What I didn't realise was that the PSU software wasn't XP compatible I intend to run the cable out and use something like a laptop but that was over 3 yeas go and still haven't done it!

It's only the Corsair bloatware that won't run on XP and all the 3rd party products that can report their PSUs that I know of will.

Even if it did run I expect it would use 100% of the CPU time on such as a Pentium !!! CPU so would be effectively useless.

Reply 17 of 21, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is that on the Corsair Rm850i box's photo ?
- I'm sure they have 20+4-pin with detacheable 4-pin.
6 office days gone and no answer for me.
Well I'm not buying anymore from Corsair. They can keep their junk in the trunk. 🙁

Attachments

• box123.jpg
    Filename
    box123.jpg
    File size
    17.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Dominus on 2020-05-27, 15:57. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted Racism

Reply 18 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
user33331 wrote on 2020-05-27, 10:02:

What is that on the Corsair Rm850i box's photo ?
- I'm sure they have 20+4-pin with detacheable 4-pin. I never trust Chinese.
(edit by Dominus: deleted Racism)

Holy shit racist generalization there, dude.

Perhaps you need to be more careful in selecting your sellers on Ebay...

Last edited by Dominus on 2020-05-27, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 21, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Perhaps you need to be more careful in selecting your sellers on Ebay..."
It was a totally new PSU that cost me nearly 200 euros Rm850i.
So not a random ebay buy.

I ordered myself an 10 euro adaptor but Corsair did not do anything to help me.

Last edited by Dominus on 2020-05-27, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.