First post, by computerguy08
This thread will be focusing on the resurrection of the already well known Total Hardware 1999 database and bringing it back in the 21st century.
It will be a collaborative effort between me, Deksor and a few others.
The website will likely be hosted on win3x.org. Why, you may ask?
Because it will make it much easier for us to add one of the most important features: user contributions.
This means that you will be able to help expand the database with better photos, BIOS images, user manuals and even new motherboards!
So, how did you organize all the information from the original TH99?
The website actually uses a database generated from the Micro House Technical Library (kudos to Deksor for the database), an encyclopedia CD offered with some magazines in the 90's. TH99 actually copied this information from MTL and converted it to html format. They were bought by Support Source in the late 90's and MTL was incorporated in their software. At the moment, there are five MTL versions known to exist (more info here):
- the 1995 demo (offered with a magazine, very little content)
- v1.4 from July 1997 (4671 motherboards)
- v1.51 from January 1998 (5518 motherboards)
- Q4 1998 (6444 motherboards)
- Q1 1999 (5332 motherboards)
If there are newer versions and / or you know more about this software, please let us know.
Some key features: (at least for now)
- an advanced search engine that can look up items on various categories (chipset type, number of slots, etc.)
- user contributions for existing or new parts
- a smartphone friendly user interface
- compatibility for old systems, Internet Explorer 5.0 being the bare minimum requirement.
Other features may be considered in the future.
If anyone is interested in joining our project, let us know.
What if we combined the versatility of stason with the cleanness of TH99 ?
Something that would look like this, with a modern interface suitable for smartphones as well.
I made this prototype today (had some fun coding in HTML and CSS).
A search bar would be included as well.