VOGONS

First post, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread will be focussing on the ressurecton of the already well known Total Hardware 1999 database and bringing it back in the 21st century.

It will be a collaborative effort between me and Deksor and it will likely be hosted on win3x.org. Why, you may ask?

Because it will make it much easier for us to add one of the most important features: user contributions

Some key features: (at least for now)

• an advanced search engine that can look up items on various categories (chipset type, number of slots, etc.)
  • user contributions for existing or new parts
  • a smartphone friendly user interface
  • compatibility for legacy browsers, such as IE5 or Firefox 52

Other features may be considered in the future.

Page prototypes:

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Capture2.PNG
Filename
Capture2.PNG
File size
857.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Capture 2.PNG
Filename
Capture 2.PNG
File size
338.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So far, the motherboard database is almost finished and ready to go, others haven't been added yet.

If anyone is interested in joining our project, let us know.

Last edited by computerguy08 on 2020-05-23, 19:33. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 2 of 71, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent idea to modernize it!
also an offline version is a good idea as well

🎵Link to buy a PCMIDI mpu
🎧Orpheus soundcard project
💻WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 3 of 71, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is another version of the index page.

Capture2.PNG
Filename
Capture2.PNG
File size
857.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The first one was glitching on my phone so I had to discard it.
I will try to upload the project on GitHub, so it is available to download and edit offline. Link coming soon.
Note: the buttons are disproportional because of the images I used (temporary thumbnails from google images). They will fit better with the proper thumbnails.

Last edited by computerguy08 on 2020-05-21, 16:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 71, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looking good! I wish I could be of more help. But my coding skills are very outdated and I lack the hardware to take modern photos.
But if you do need someone to dig up info I can help in that regard.

Reply 5 of 71, by imi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd definitely make it more like a wiki rather than a modern "presentation website" like that, I think having as much information on screen as possible is key for a good overview, especially when browsing through a lot of things. "looking good" is secondary imo ^^

Reply 6 of 71, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well well well ...
I didn't want to post about it until it was finished, but this is exactly the project I'm working on 😁

It may not look as pretty as what you want to do, but mine is functional for the most part (It just needs better admin pages).

uh19-1.png
Filename
uh19-1.png
File size
18.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
uh19-2.png
Filename
uh19-2.png
File size
468.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

As you can see I'm also storing POST strings (so in the future you'll be able to search your motherboard without even having to open your computer !)
In the meantime I've also added photos and BIOSes from Predator99's topics (such as 80486 BIOS image collection ), minuszerodegrees and elhvb.com.

I've also managed to improve some of the data and generate new data from the existing source (such as the form factor, based on the size documented).

Reply 8 of 71, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once we get to the stages of matching boards with pictures/bioses/manuals call me in. Oh and I'm not done uploading to elhvb.com yet. I just found a folder called "mirrors" on one of my disks. Surprise!

Reply 9 of 71, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like a great project! TH99 has helped me a lot in the past, but searching for what you actually got can be a real pain. Making it better searchable and get real pictures sounds almost too good! 😁

I've got some nice stuff laying around and can make some pictures of it, along with details like chipset numbers...
And maybe can provide new data for a few boards that don't seem to be included in TH99 😀
(And have to look into how to get a bios dump to share)
Looking forward to it 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 10 of 71, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2020-05-21, 18:05:

Once we get to the stages of matching boards with pictures/bioses/manuals call me in. Oh and I'm not done uploading to elhvb.com yet. I just found a folder called "mirrors" on one of my disks. Surprise!

That'd be great but there's one big bummer : POST strings. I haven't found a way to extract them out of a bios too unfortunately. Unless someone comes with a POST string extractor for Ami/award bioses, this will be a big problem 😒

Reply 11 of 71, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

on older BIOSes the strings are in plaintext though not always in the same place. Some sort of heuristics based search would be viable as the strings follow fairly predictable format.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 13 of 71, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome work guys (@Deksor & @Computerguy08.) If this is the result of the trainwreck that my thread was, than I'm happy I posted it, even if I had to take some minor abuse from bozos to get there. This would be a great thing to have around. Maybe you guys should combine efforts? I like the idea of putting it on Github & accepting contribs too.

A 'tags' feature would be really nice, so you could keep narrowing down results by selecting more tags, kind of like how Mobygames or Demozoo work. It would be a great help for those "what the crap is this board" unmarked, unbranded ones. E.g. selecting "AT" -> "Socket 7" -> "ALi Alladin 5" -> "3 ISA" -> "3 PCI" -> "AGP" -> "2 DIMMs" -> "2 SIMMs" yields a list of all the boards that fit that criteria. The users could add the tags after the fact once the functionality is there. Not sure how much work that would be to impliment.

It'd also be nice to be able to add new entries beyond what was in the original TH99 database, as long as quality is maintained & there's enough info submitted to fit the format. Maybe that's feature creep though.

Anyway, I'll happily use it once it's done. Cheers for the efforts!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 14 of 71, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well in my case, I started the project a year ago 😁 (but I had to pause it for a while because of studies).

What you're suggesting is pretty much what's possible at the moment with my project (except not the count of memory slots because it's not in TH99, but the type of memory slots is there if you pay attention to my search function).

I definitely want to add new entries beyond what was originally there. I'd like to expand it to the mid 2000's roughly (basically anything that support Windows 9x or less).

Basically my project is going to be an extension to www.win3x.org. I'm planning to release v1 soon which is like I said nearly finished, although it's not looking pretty at all, but I plan to add more features later (things such as suggesting drivers for motherboards based on the chipset, as well as uploading original driver disk images if someone sent one to us, etc).

Now some of the things added there (such as "30 pin simms") can't really be used as there are really not a lot of boards listed with them ...

Reply 17 of 71, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-05-21, 13:38:
It will still be buried under other sites and the only way to change that is to beat them in the clicking game. A few guys from […]
Show full quote
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-21, 13:24:

What if we combined the versatility of stason with the cleanness of TH99 ?

It will still be buried under other sites and the only way to change that is to beat them in the clicking game.
A few guys from here would know about it but others would still use the one that actually showed up first in Google: Stason.
You would get tired of it eventually.
There is only one way: taking down Stason for copyright infringement and creating a modern website in place of the old one.

Well the fact it'll end on win3x.org will surely help some more because it won't start from scratch on the click rate 😀

Reply 18 of 71, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, this has a good chance of generating a whole pile of positive publicity - imagine articles like "someone made a huge database of jumper settings for all your old hardware searchable & mobile-friendly using [insert web technology here]" running on Hackaday or wherever. Never mind that the database was already out there - making it into a useable, modern website is enough of an effort to generate some goodwill.*

[* but I guarantee some numpty in the comments will be all "they just stole this from Stason!"]

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-22, 03:02. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!