VOGONS

Reply 100 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's time for an update!

We've been working hard in the last month on the motherboard database, adding photos of our own boards, adding BIOS images and manuals, fixing the many mistakes in TH99 (yes, there were lots of mistakes).

With the help of mr_Slug, we've been able to implement a chipset encyclopedia as well, which will allow you to view more information about any old chipset. Each board has a link for its chipset documentation (where available).

So far, we have implemented these features for the showcase page of any given motherboard:

• BIOS images, with POST strings, versions and download links
  • Photos of the actual boards, with schema from TH99 as well
  • user manuals (in pdf format) with download links
  • the mentioned chipset database links
cap1.PNG
Filename
cap1.PNG
File size
512.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The search page will have the following filters:

• manufacturer
  • name
  • form factor
  • chipset
  • CPU platform
  • number of expansion slots and I/O ports
  • type of RAM slots present on the board
  • BIOS manufacturer
cap2.PNG
Filename
cap2.PNG
File size
77.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And whenever you click the search button, you will be greeted with a list of boards that match the filters

cap3.PNG
Filename
cap3.PNG
File size
151.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

We've also been working on browser compatibility; at this point, the page should work on the following devices:

• old PCs running either Windows 3.1 + Internet Explorer 5.0 Win16 or Windows 95 + Internet Explorer 4.0 at minimum
  • newer PCs running any flavour of Internet Explorer / Opera / Firefox / Chrome / Edge or Safari
  • mobile devices (smartphones) running any flavour of the browsers mentioned above ^^

As you can see, some areas wil not look as pretty, but that is caused mainly by the need of browser compatibility.

We're actually almost ready for a release (that includes only the motherboard database), which will be coming soon.

Reply 101 of 408, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could the search results be visual too, showing the skeleton diagram of the board just like TH99? It would make eyeballing much easier since no need to click the links one by one to check.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 102 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We could do this, we have to think of a way that looks nice, but in the meantime the search function is often powerful enough to return a small list of boards 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 103 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's coming along very nicely. Is there a public beta version of it online?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 104 of 408, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-07-18, 11:46:
It's time for an update! […]
Show full quote

It's time for an update!

We've been working hard in the last month on the motherboard database, adding photos of our own boards, adding BIOS images and manuals, fixing the many mistakes in TH99 (yes, there were lots of mistakes).

With the help of mr_Slug, we've been able to implement a chipset encyclopedia as well, which will allow you to view more information about any old chipset. Each board has a link for its chipset documentation (where available).

So far, we have implemented these features for the showcase page of any given motherboard:

• BIOS images, with POST strings, versions and download links
  • Photos of the actual boards, with schema from TH99 as well
  • user manuals (in pdf format) with download links
  • the mentioned chipset database links

cap1.PNG

The search page will have the following filters:

• manufacturer
  • name
  • form factor
  • chipset
  • CPU platform
  • number of expansion slots and I/O ports
  • type of RAM slots present on the board
  • BIOS manufacturer

cap2.PNG
And whenever you click the search button, you will be greeted with a list of boards that match the filters
cap3.PNG

We've also been working on browser compatibility; at this point, the page should work on the following devices:

• old PCs running either Windows 3.1 + Internet Explorer 5.0 Win16 or Windows 95 + Internet Explorer 4.0 at minimum
  • newer PCs running any flavour of Internet Explorer / Opera / Firefox / Chrome / Edge or Safari
  • mobile devices (smartphones) running any flavour of the browsers mentioned above ^^

As you can see, some areas wil not look as pretty, but that is caused mainly by the need of browser compatibility.

We're actually almost ready for a release (that includes only the motherboard database), which will be coming soon.

Looking amazing!

Reply 105 of 408, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-07-18, 11:46:

It's time for an update!

Not sure if this is the right place for this comment but the ASUS P2B-S supports Coppermines too depending on the installed voltage regulator chip. Nevertheless, great job !

Reply 106 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-07-21, 13:11:

Not sure if this is the right place for this comment but the ASUS P2B-S supports Coppermines too depending on the installed voltage regulator chip.

I know. The info on that board was completed a while back, when Coppermine wasn't added in the database yet. It has been added since then.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-21, 06:33:

It's coming along very nicely. Is there a public beta version of it online?

Not yet. The release will be very soon, so no need to wait for too long.

Reply 107 of 408, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-07-21, 13:18:

(...) The release will be very soon, so no need to wait for too long.

I always love great announcements 😁

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 108 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am asking if you could create a page for: Hard Disk / Floppy Controllers > 16-bit ISA, IDE > Holtek EOI-2A, there is nothing in TH99 or the original MH Library.
Based on this: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
attached Datasheet for HT6550A/6552

Attachments

• Filename
    Holtek_6550a_n.pdf
    File size
    658.37 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 109 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-07-26, 03:16:

Am asking if you could create a page for: Hard Disk / Floppy Controllers > 16-bit ISA, IDE > Holtek EOI-2A, there is nothing in TH99 or the original MH Library.
Based on this: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
attached Datasheet for HT6550A/6552

We are planning to add the expansion cards database in a upcoming release, because it will be very time consuming to sort it out (just like it was for the motherboards).

When that will happen, we will gladly add your card to the database.

Reply 111 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes turning the motherboard part of th99 to a database and then fixing all the mistakes took me over a month. Then creating the site took me months too, then this topic appeared and we finished it together (they were a great help !!)

Doing the expansion cards will take a while as well, but hopefully less than the motherboards because I'm more experienced now and parts of the current site can be re used.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 113 of 408, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That works extremely well 😀

I've got a CHIPS 386SX board that I couldn't find in the TH99, and I can't find it here either, but this was so much easier to use!
If I ever get this board working, I'll add it in I guess.

The image quality of the board picture and real picture look a bit strange on my 2560x1440 monitor, not sure why.

Reply 114 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The images are shrinked to 320 pixels wide on the page to lower the bandwidth taken by them. Some images are really large so this was needed. To view the high quality image, click on it 😀

Reply 116 of 408, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is very difficult to scale line drawings well that are in a bitmapped format. We are looking at some options to improve this.

I should point out that while a lot of stuff has been added, there is an awful lot of stuff to still add. I've been going through my HDD and I am not even halfway through my manuals. And that is just me. This site will continue to grow in the next few months.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 118 of 408, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, this is such a useful project! Thanks for all the effort so far!

I have some layout issues on Firefox in Linux Mint. Can I drop issues in this topic, or is there another way?

1982 to 2001

Reply 119 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed. And there are still many mistakes that will be fixed over time ...
Here are few tips :
don't focus your search too much on the form factor or RAM slots. Many baby AT boards are "unknown form factor" and some "atx" boards aren't atx at all ... TH99 didn't record the form factor so I tried my best to use the dimensions and trying to figure out the form factor, but apparently it didn't work so well.

If you can't find your chipset, try "[chipstet brand] unidentified". The chipsets weren't clearly described in TH99 (only the brand name) so we had to work around this ... Keep in mind that if we can't find any infos about your board (not even a photo), we can't find its chipset ^^

One last tip which is a real feature : if you put for example "0 pci slots", the search will look for boards that DON'T have any pci slots. Same for i/o ports.

@ Cyrix200+

Interesting you say that. Someone else told us he had similar issues with firefox on arch linux ...

Now I'm not working on the front-end at all, but I'm sure those who work on the frontend can look for this.

One last thing : we started uploading images before there was a way to credit the author ... I have taken images from here and there including vogons. If you see your image uncredited, feel free to contact us to be credited 😀