VOGONS

Reply 120 of 408, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-08-30, 09:13:

BIG NEWS:

The website is now live! You can go to http://www.win3x.org/uh19 and try out the new search feature.

Looking fantastic so far, great work all 😀 Hope that over time I can identify some of my stuff that isn't on there, and make some contributions.

Reply 122 of 408, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really impressive work!

EDIT: I see info is missing on some of the boards I own, I'll contribute with links to BIOS'es, manuals and pictures. Is undocumented settings also OK?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 123 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if we document them they won't be undocumented anymore right ?
I'm joking x) it's ok, but so far we can't really edit the MTL files (actually I think we should scrap the PDF idea and turn the image into a SVG image and the rest as markdown or something easily editable) so this will have to remain as a tiny note

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 127 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2020-09-01, 07:33:

Really impressive work!

EDIT: I see info is missing on some of the boards I own, I'll contribute with links to BIOS'es, manuals and pictures. Is undocumented settings also OK?

There's a reason for that big "[BETA]" sign on the main page, this is pretty much a work in progress.

But yeah, links to information are always welcome, if you have offline material that is even better.

Reply 128 of 408, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unbelievable 😁
Keeps looking better!

I took a quick search on a few boards I have and the search engine did prove to work very nice!

I also was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of different brands and chipsets there are (including OEM doubles). Never realised there were this many of them.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-03, 05:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 129 of 408, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been meaning to ask. Just out of curiosity's sake: before adding your own new motherboard entries, how many entries did all of these - de-duplicated - actually yield? Their collection grew then shrank...

computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-21, 13:24:
[…]
Show full quote
  • the 1995 demo (offered with a magazine, very little content)
  • v1.4 from July 1997 (4671 motherboards)
  • v1.51 from January 1998 (5518 motherboards)
  • Q4 1998 (6444 motherboards)
  • Q1 1999 (5332 motherboards)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 130 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-09-03, 05:58:

I've been meaning to ask. Just out of curiosity's sake: before adding your own new motherboard entries, how many entries did all of these - de-duplicated - actually yield? Their collection grew then shrank...

We managed to pull somewhere around 5600 unique entries.
There were a lot of duplicates, which pushed the total number to about ~5850 entries.

At the moment, with our added boards, we reached about 6000 unique boards 😁

Reply 131 of 408, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is only window dressing, but what would you think about a small feed of recently updated items on the home page? It would give the site a live feel, and would be kinda fun to see what's being added.

Reply 132 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, I actually thought about this but didn't implement it in the end. Now this could make a come back in some time ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 133 of 408, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-09-03, 09:10:
We managed to pull somewhere around 5600 unique entries. There were a lot of duplicates, which pushed the total number to about […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote on 2020-09-03, 05:58:

We managed to pull somewhere around 5600 unique entries.
There were a lot of duplicates, which pushed the total number to about ~5850 entries.

At the moment, with our added boards, we reached about 6000 unique boards 😁

Awesome! Thanks.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 134 of 408, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-09-02, 21:10:

I also was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of different brands and chipsets there are (including OEM doubles). Never realised there were this many of them.

It took a very long time to compile that list. If you click the link (on a mother board page) you will be linked to my site, where if there was a datasheet available, it should have 1: general info about the chipset, 2: Configuration of the chips in the chipset, 3: features of the chipset. Alternatively click the link below to my chipset encyclopedia. For example here is the entry on Intel:
http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/chipset/chipset … 6&1=9150,2#8096

each line is a entry to more information.

I spent years compiling this, yet i keep finding more chipsets!

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 135 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allright, we've made some updates here and there

Now on the index page you can see the 10 latest added/edited boards being listed. That way you can have a small peek into what we are doing ^^

Also, I fixed the problems with CPU platforms not being correct for 486 and pentium. Now each board which claim to support a 486 DX4 are considered "4865V-3.3V" and pentium boards that support pentium mmx/6x86l/K6 or later are considered "pentium split voltage". This was supposed to be the case already, but that wasn't 100% accurate to the data in the database. Now it is !

Reply 136 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-21, 20:40:

Good work !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 137 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-21, 20:40:

Now on the index page you can see the 10 latest added/edited boards being listed. That way you can have a small peek into what we are doing ^^

Also, I fixed the problems with CPU platforms not being correct for 486 and pentium. Now each board which claim to support a 486 DX4 are considered "4865V-3.3V" and pentium boards that support pentium mmx/6x86l/K6 or later are considered "pentium split voltage". This was supposed to be the case already, but that wasn't 100% accurate to the data in the database. Now it is !

Some things are wonky with the search.. When I do a search for octek I get zero hits, when I do a search for hippo I get like a dozen octek boards. Maybe it's case sensitive and shouldn't be?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 138 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to select the manufacturer, octek is one 😁
The brand is separate from the name.

Reply 139 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-22, 15:58:

You need to select the manufacturer, octek is one 😁
The brand is separate from the name.

I see.. not very intuitive though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.