VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi i’ve been having issues with my drives and i was wondering if the lasers in these drives can be replaced to make it run like new again. Unlike games consoles which has the model number of the laser documented or written somewhere . I cannot seem to find the model number for these lasers and these are your common typical ide dvd drives. I opened up 2 of these drives and upon opening it up there is no model number written on the laser. Is the model number for the laser written on the casing?

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why even bother? Even if you could find a replacement laser assembly, just buying a new drive is easier and cheaper. And unlike with game consoles, there's no market for the laser assemblies used in these old drives anyway. Also, you need to adjust various things on the pcb after a laser-replacement, which is nearly impossible without a service manual and a scope. It's just not worth it.

I would actually first check if the lens is not just dirty or the rails getting stuck due to old grease.

Reply 2 of 6, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-21, 20:22:

Why even bother? Even if you could find a replacement laser assembly, just buying a new drive is easier and cheaper. And unlike with game consoles, there's no market for the laser assemblies used in these old drives anyway. Also, you need to adjust various things on the pcb after a laser-replacement, which is nearly impossible without a service manual and a scope. It's just not worth it.

I would actually first check if the lens is not just dirty or the rails getting stuck due to old grease.

So can i purchase new IDE Drives or is it all Sata?

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-21, 20:25:

All SATA , but a good quality adapter IDE SATA adapter would cost less than 15 CAN$ in my neck of the woods . TBH, I never used one on an ATAPI device, but it should work fine .

Reply 4 of 6, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-21, 22:15:

All SATA , but a good quality adapter IDE SATA adapter would cost less than 15 CAN$ in my neck of the woods . TBH, I never used one on an ATAPI device, but it should work fine .

Ok thanks for the info. There’s also other drives ide drives out their refurbished, new old stock. I’ll have a look.

Reply 5 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with SATA CD drives is that they do not have the analog audio output for the sound card, so they are not perfect replacements for DOS machines.

Reply 6 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-22, 01:30:

The problem with SATA CD drives is that they do not have the analog audio output for the sound card, so they are not perfect replacements for DOS machines.

You are so right!

I have so many spare IDE drives (SATA ones too), that I never actually noticed .
That's one more reason to keep the IDE ones .