VOGONS

First post, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm seriously considering building another retro PC which would be DOS/98 or XP based. My question is what would be in your opinion the best configuration (as far as soundcards go, I had a SoundBlaster Pro 2 in mind)? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kind regards,
Matthew

Reply 1 of 4, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're going to put in an ISA sound card, I'd go ahead and narrow down and say it will be DOS/98 based. It's DOS games where having a true Sound Blaster compatible (with working ISA DMA) is helpful as XP games will use Windows drivers and therefore be neutral to what card you actually have. A motherboard with a 440BX chipset and a Pentium III processor seems like a common choice. That's what I built.

Reply 3 of 4, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-21, 21:25:

The SB Pro 2 is fine, but are you planning on any kind of midi support? If so you will need a midi card as well, or replace the SB Pro with something like an ESS Audiodrive.

Nah, SB Pro 2 would be fine. But I'm more interested in other components, especially graphics card (could be separate 2D & 3D card or all-in-one).

Reply 4 of 4, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-05-21, 21:04:

If you're going to put in an ISA sound card, I'd go ahead and narrow down and say it will be DOS/98 based. It's DOS games where having a true Sound Blaster compatible (with working ISA DMA) is helpful as XP games will use Windows drivers and therefore be neutral to what card you actually have. A motherboard with a 440BX chipset and a Pentium III processor seems like a common choice. That's what I built.

Thank you!