VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if there is any modern beige 27" or bigger PC monitor? (that is actually buyable, not if it ever existed) Everything is boring black these days and disrupts my retro style.

Last edited by Planet-Dune on 2020-05-21, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NEC MultiSync EA274WMi/EA275WMi
it also sports a VGA input (it has VGA/HDMI/DVI and DP) and should support DOS resolutions with correct scaling, I have yet to get one though.

I have the 19" Mi monitors and it does scaling pretty nicely, so I assume the same is true for the larger models, and the vast input selection is just awesome :3
some models might not have seperate VGA/DVI but a DVI-I input

edit: just realized, there is also a 30" version, EA305WMi with 16:10 resolution 😮 gotta put that on my wishlist... it seems to have been discontinued and I guess there's probably not many of those around in white though.

the 275 is still available new.

edit2: also it seems most websites seem to have forgotten that VGA/Analog RGB exists because a lot of sites list the monitors with "DVI-D" input, but the manual clearly states "DVI-I" and "Analog RGB" supported, and also lists "720x400 VGA text" as supported resolution: http://www.support.nec-display.com/dl_service … anual_EN_v9.pdf

like I said, I only have the EA193Mi, got 4 of these now and my assumptions on scaling are based on that, but since according to their manuals they still support analog input and 720x400 I assume all of the monitors in that range do equally well, can't guarantee it though until I finally get my hands on one ^^

Reply 3 of 4, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to retract my statement on the EA193Mi somewhat, while it seems to scale old DOS resolutions quite nicely it actually stretches normal VGA resolutions to 5:4 for whatever reason 🙁 I have never really tried anything newer so far so I did not notice that, still nice for older pure DOS though.

should not affect the newer models though I guess as they have dedicated aspect ratio modes.

Reply 4 of 4, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bring further bad news 🙁

so I got ahold of a NEC EA223WM 22" 1680x1050 16:10 monitor that boasts support for 720x400 in the datasheet and has aspect ratio control, unfortunately that does NOT produce a 4:3 picture 🙁
not even 1024x768 seems to get scaled correctly for some reason only 640x480 and 800x600 apparently.

so my hopes for the complete NEC range have gone, I guess the behaviour will be similar on other monitors but I will still try to maybe get a 24" at some time.