VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every time i try to install XP i get a Blue Screen of Death. Why am i getting these errors? I’ve tried to install multiple times with another cd, harddrive, ide cable and same issue. I get this error when i format the harddrive and then run the setup.

Attachments

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2020-05-22, 00:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks looks like it installed but now i get Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

Attachments

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2020-05-22, 01:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-22, 01:00:
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:55:

Thanks looks like it installed but now i get Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

Is your bios set to boot from C first?

No CD Rom. I’ll change it to HDD. But unfortunately it’s way past my bedtime.

Reply 7 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-22, 01:00:
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:55:

Is your bios set to boot from C first?

I changed it to HDD and same issue.

Reply 9 of 32, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is your system config?

From your last screenshot it can't be seen if you have master hdd installed. Maybe some cable got disconnected.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What mainboard and controller are you using ? Your boot screenshot indicates you have an integrated IDE controller and some other controller . Depending one which one your disk is connected to, you may need to select something other than C in BIOS . if using an IDE controller from Promise or one like it , you would need to select SCSI as a boot option (even if the card is not SCSI, the BIOS just sees it that way).

Reply 11 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 11:28:

What mainboard and controller are you using ? Your boot screenshot indicates you have an integrated IDE controller and some other controller . Depending one which one your disk is connected to, you may need to select something other than C in BIOS . if using an IDE controller from Promise or one like it , you would need to select SCSI as a boot option (even if the card is not SCSI, the BIOS just sees it that way).

I’m using a Epox EP-D3VA. I’ll have good look in the bios may have to reset it. I’ve changed the IDE cables with some new ones.

Reply 12 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 11:28:

My HDD is connected to IDE Port 1 and set to master.

Reply 13 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2020-05-22, 11:24:

What is your system config?

From your last screenshot it can't be seen if you have master hdd installed. Maybe some cable got disconnected.

Yes my bios see’s my harddrive but upon boot nothing happens. I’ve changed over the IDE cables and will see if it makes a difference.

Reply 14 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess i’m probably just stuck with Windows 98 wanted a dual boot XP system.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If setting to SCSI worked, that means your drive is connected to a HightPoint HPT366 controller on your motherboard, not the VIA standard IDE controller integrated into your board's south bridge .

Glad it worked .

EDIT : I am actually a bit surprised it did not get 0x7B BSOD since, as far as I know XP does not come with HPT366 drivers (requiring the F6 option to provide a driver diskette) . At least, I don't think the original RTM release did . Then again, if ithe installer did manage to find a drive to install to, it must have had proper drivers (maybe later XP releases did) .

Last edited by darry on 2020-05-22, 14:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 32, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:34:

If setting to SCSI worked, that means your drive is connected to a HightPoint HPT366 controller on your motherboard, not the VIA standard IDE controller integrated into your board's south bridge .

Glad it worked .

Hmm that’s weird because it says IDE1 on the port. I installed XP Pro Service Pack 3 i think it is a later release backup. What is a HPT-366 controller for? I have a dual cpu socket 370 motherboard unlike the Socket 370 Asus one i had before this has support for less ram, 4 ide ports and an ISA port.

Epox D3VA
https://www.anandtech.com/show/816/8

Reply 19 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:42:
Hmm that’s weird because it says IDE1 on the port. What is a HPT-366 controller for? I have a dual cpu socket 370 motherboard u […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:34:

Glad it worked .

Hmm that’s weird because it says IDE1 on the port. What is a HPT-366 controller for? I have a dual cpu socket 370 motherboard unlike the Asus one i had before this has support for less ram, 4 ide ports and an ISA port.

Epox D3VA
https://www.anandtech.com/show/816/8

It provides extra IDE ports, in this case faster ATA100 ones compared to the VIA ATA66 ones .

According to the manual, the 2 HPT366 controlled IDE ports are the blue ones on the photo (black on some board revision) by the RAM slots . The manual says they should be labelled 3 and 4 . They might be labelled differently on your board (would not be the first time a manual is not 100% accurate).

Attachments

• Filename
    epd3va.pdf
    File size
    4.03 MiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception