VOGONS

First post, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

So there goes my another retro PC. This time I've got some old Intel Pentium I i75mhz icomp 610 sx969 paired with FIC PA-2010+ mobo and here it begins having problem setting correct mhz for this CPU. While reading manual it gives me info that by shorting certain pins I can get FSB 50mhz and ratio 1,5x that's fine.. =75mhz BUT looking at the mobo instruction on PCB it saiz that by shorting the same pins ... I'll get FSB 55MHz (???) with ratio 1,5x it will give me 82,5Mhz .... What's more - there isn't even option for 50Mhz on the mobo...

Any suggestions/tips ?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Well... I miss 80/90s ... End of story

Reply 2 of 10, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-22, 06:03:

Why not just set them up for 75/82.5MHz and see what the POST screen says?

I'll do that, but You know, I don't wanna burn this little friend 🙂 I know that's not much, but I keep in mind that PCI bus will be hotter too (2xVoodoo2 are installed there).

Reply 3 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry, the chip will likely run stable @100MHz. It won't fry as long as you're not increasing voltages. Remember the same core on the same process will run up to 133MHz. 👍 I have a 75MHz P1 that'll run 120MHz on stock voltages. Only the very early chips are so marginal they don't run higher than what their rated speed is. Most P75 are far underclocked and it was a popular option to get a cheap P75 back in the day and run it @100MHz or @120MHz.😃
Also the PCI bus runs at 1/2 FSB speed on your board. Neither 25MHz nor 27.5MHz will hurt it. 😉 Edit: Didn't realise it was a VIA chipset. Not 100% sure about that statement anymore but you're very likely underclocking the PCI bus @50/55MHz FSB. Certainly you're not overclocking.

On a side note a P75 will severely limit a Voodoo1. You will not profit from running your Voodoo2 SLI on that machine.

Reply 4 of 10, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Doornkaat for the info. Yeah I know that this CPU is far too slow for the Voodoo2 and it will stand a big bootleneck for it but still I have 2 loose cards and no clue what to do with them 👍 Now I recon that in the 90s I was using the same CPU and it was running @90Mhz so I didn't even know that It was already overclocked 🙂

Reply 6 of 10, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Voodoo's don't belong there.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/66

This board is definitely not for the average speed freak, slow and steady characterizes the PA-2010+ pretty well.

Reply 7 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The P75 is the only 50MHz FSB Pentium CPU and that's for a good reason - running RAM at 50MHz and PCI at 25MHz cripples performance. See the thread here somewhere showing a P66 beats P75 at most things because decent FSB and PCI. That's all the more reason to put the V2 in a better system - not only is the CPU slow, but PCI bus is either being run slow (25MHz) or asynchronously (33MHz, but with delays) so that Voodoo is castrated anyway. I'd be hesitant to put a Voodoo 1 into anything this slow, a V2 is crazy.

Reply 9 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not know where you live but a P133 go for $10 or less in my country and would upgrade to at least that speed, if not higher.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 10, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-23, 01:14:

I do not know where you live but a P133 go for $10 or less in my country and would upgrade to at least that speed, if not higher.

Same here, but to be honest it's a sentimental thing, I've been using this CPU 23 years ago and wanted to stick to it so i won't replace it 😉