VOGONS

First post, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know all about the lack of support of PCI-E when it comes to Win 9x but there's a site hosting custom chipset INF files here for a range of boards: http://www.windows98.xf.cz/
(google translate is a blessing)

I've got a few chipsets which are mentioned as supported but i'm curious if anyone here has tried them out as I won't be able to test them myself anytime soon here.

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel chipset INF update 6.3.0.1007 for newer 8xx chipsets might be handy 😁
Those Nvidia drivers might also be nice to try, to bad it does include the 7100GS though might be able to mod the .inf since the 7300GS is supported.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-23, 20:41:

Those Nvidia drivers might also be nice to try, to bad it does include the 7100GS though might be able to mod the .inf since the 7300GS is supported.

Hmm I've used some tweaked drivers by Maximus-Decim that have worked well for a Geforce 7600GS except I had to use a shutdown patcher otherwise it would hang on shutdown.
Also that card I was using was AGP and not PCI-E so something to consider.

Reply 3 of 8, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have used a "ATI Radeon X600" and "NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS" under Windows 98SE, and both video cards were PCI-E , I had to use some hacked drivers but other than that I had no big problems.

BTW the Nvidia drivers I "think" I used were from http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php

But I remember sticking with the "ATI Radeon X600" because I had less trouble with it.

Reply 4 of 8, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
will1384 wrote on 2020-05-24, 01:52:

I have used a "ATI Radeon X600" and "NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS" under Windows 98SE, and both video cards were PCI-E , I had to use some hacked drivers but other than that I had no big problems.

Ah sorry I meant to ask in the original post if they work for anyone with chipsets new enough to support multiple CPUs

Reply 5 of 8, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GrampaGotTheKeys wrote on 2020-05-28, 02:21:
will1384 wrote on 2020-05-24, 01:52:

Ah sorry I meant to ask in the original post if they work for anyone with chipsets new enough to support multiple CPUs

Not sure if this info will help.

The motherboard I used was a "GA-G31M-ES2L" that had a North Bridge: Intel G31 Express, and South Bridge: Intel ICH7 chipsets and used Intel LGA 775 CPUs , I think your biggest problem is finding drivers that work, and / or replacing motherboard hardware that does not work with Win98 with PCI card based hardware that does have drivers for Win98.

On that GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard I had to use a PCI USB card with drivers for Win98, a PCI-E video card with drivers for Win98, and a PCI sound card with with drivers for Win98, but unfortunately you get no DOS sound with the new-er motherboards because the chipsets don't allow for it, and you have to disable the motherboard's USB,video, sound, and everything else you don't need or cant use with Win98.

Reply 7 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Intel chipset "drivers" really are just INF files to make the device manager entries look pretty. Windows 98SE doesn't need them on modern hardware. Rloew's memory patch and AHCI/SATA drivers are a must though. G31 chipset USB should work as its UHCI/EHCI compatible. The big caveat is that you likely need to use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse and disable any legacy device emulation in the BIOS. If your motherboard lacks PS/2, you will run into problems running Win 9x with USB input devices as it has trouble "handing off" the emulated keyboard and mouse to the native USB driver stack (it was always troublesome even on period hardware).

Reply 8 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7900GTX PCI-E works on Windows 98SE with the modded drivers.

Doing a bit of searching and it looks like SLI might work in 98SE... I haven't tried it myself though. Not sure what the real point would be unless you are just trying to go for some 3dmark records.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK