VOGONS

First post, by smoki86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

got my hands on a rather unique setup that I want to show you guys!
I normally build Thinkpad stuff (486-P3 in big docks), so didn't have a good place to show this one, thought you might like it 😀

Found a laptop in a "service case" on ebay the other day. Used with german Telekom around 1995 for setting up/testing telephone distribution points.
As I love big docking stations on old computers I got it, never seen one like it before.

05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
133.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I got it broken and repaired it. It is my first Compaq laptop but the fix was easy enough. Did not power cycle at all - so replaced the BIOS battery and that fixed that issue.
HDD wasn't working as well and floppy belt turned into mush. I could not get a CF card working as none of the ones I had played nicely with any of the BIOS settings and I couldn't figure out if there was any way to manually set CHS. In the end I whacked the HDD into compliance and it has been working perfectly ever since...

I have written a lot more infos into the imgur album if you want to take a look: https://imgur.com/a/PvJfvZ6

In the end I want to put in a more reliable harddisk (cloning the existing one) and a soundcard. The case is big enough to put some amplifying circuit and some speakers.
If I can't replace or repair the floppy I could put in a extra one connected to the IDE controller on a SB16/32 or something like this. Power for all of this is easily accessible.
There is also a unmarked card reader in the dock - but no drivers installed and not used in the Telekom software as far as I can see, would be interesting to get that running as well!

Anyone has any info on which HDD's or CF cards I might get working on this machine and any other interesting ideas on what I might do with it?