VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely. I tossed dot matrix printers, a 386 notebook, several 486s complete with matching monitors, a 286 lunchbox, a Macintosh Plus .etc about ten years ago. And a bunch of SCSI cables, AT dome slider keyboards, early multimedia speakers .etc about five years ago. Couldn't give the stuff away for free, didn't think I'd ever want it again, .etc, .etc. And the stuff I could sell, like five years ago I only got about $25 for a working Voodoo 1 card with dongle, and about $40 for an IBM XT with a working MFM drive, ethernet and Paradise 8 bit VGA. On EBay. Prices certainly have gone up.

Reply 41 of 45, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sold a large collection of CPUs (2000+) about 10 years ago. I soon regretted it, and have since rebuilt much of my collection, as well as having several hundred old graphics cards.

Before selling my CPU collection, at my previous address, I persuaded a couple of computer shops to give me sheds full of motherboards, PCs, etc. I only wanted the CPUs at the time. I really regret scrapping so many good 486 and earlier systems - some of which I am on the lookout for now for testing my collections. I have 1000s of CPUs, 120~ motherboards, several 100s of graphics cards, boxes of HDDs waiting to be tested..... All in all, enough to trip over when I go from room to room in my small bungalow. I'll get round to testing everything one day 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42 of 45, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-15, 19:31:

I have 1000s of CPUs, 120~ motherboards, several 100s of graphics cards, boxes of HDDs waiting to be tested..... A

Do you have any photos to share? 😀

Reply 43 of 45, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-09-15, 21:20:
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-15, 19:31:

I have 1000s of CPUs, 120~ motherboards, several 100s of graphics cards, boxes of HDDs waiting to be tested..... A

Do you have any photos to share? 😀

I will have once I finish reorganising everything. I will post photos of some of the best stuff 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44 of 45, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Selling? Not really. I am quite happy with everything I have sold. Even if I could give something away, I prefer not to. It's not the money. I believe that what something is worth to someone is reinforced by their willingness to pay for it. Of course there could be scrappers. But anyway, someone who pays is someone who treasures.

I had a pair of Apple II drives. No Apple II (lol). Never really figured on what I might do with them, but they sat for so long it was time - I really wanted them gone, and I found an eager market. They weren't perfect by any means, but they quickly sold anyway for asking price. Especially the black one. Apparently that guy just collects ALL Bell & Howell Apple stuff, even if it's somewhat beat up.

I sell the things I can't make use of. I listed some NuBus cards. I don't know if I have a NuBus slot anywhere (or why that would matter). Just want the clutter out so I can focus on the good stuff.

I was theorizing the other day about the Bernoulli drive. Can't really think of anything more useless. It's cool I guess - I've never even seen it running though and I'm ready to let it go. Frankly, it's Apple equipment and my cache of Apple stuff is in a very sad state.

I do have useless vintage things that I can't or don't wish to sell - random spare CPUs, for instance. But then again some of those duplicate sound cards - come on...
And I'm pretty sure modems are worthless. I mean, they're worthless to us and we are the target audience! An unfortunate aspect of the modern world.

There is a thing or three that I'm sad got away from me though. I had a Nashua disk pack once, I don't know what the hell my dad did to it and I never really had a chance to ransack his house to try finding it. They're getting quite expensive now. And I sort of look back wistfully at the system I left my mother when I moved away, which completely disappeared by the time I came back. But that was 2004, so, well, fait accompli.

Reply 45 of 45, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never sold part of my stash of parts and also don't regret it. I did part with part of the stash (threw stuff out) to make room and those I mostly do regret, partially because it was some other people who advised me to do so.

I might sell some of the stuff sooner or later, but it's not that time right now. I'm not in a hurry to sell anything.

Only stuff I did throw out more recently was either scrapped computer cases or old printers. God I hate printers -_-

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!