VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm interested in detailed power consumption figures for these two video cards:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 5500
  • ATi Radeon 9700 Pro

I can't even find straight power consumption figures for either one of them, never mind data about what these cards draw from individual voltage rails (I'm especially interested in 5V figures).
Considering it's such an iconic card, there are a lot of confusing claims made about the Voodoo5. Most claim 15W per VSA100 chip, so 30W total, but apparently that's for the 320 revision of the chip according to another source, while yet another claims that to be the card's TDP. I've also read about 12W per chip, 18W per chip, 30W per chip, 47W both at full load,... 😵😵

No PSU recommendations please!

Reply 2 of 5, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that's excellent information! Idiot me, I even came across that xbitlabs link, but didn't think of asking the WaybackMachine when I got a 404.
If the 9800 Pro heavily prefers 5V & 3.3V, I think it's safe to assume the 9700 Pro will do so as well.

Reply 5 of 5, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, but given that there exist multiple forums dedicated just to the 3dfx cards by themselves, you'd assume that this topic had been thoroughly explored at some point during the past 20 years.