VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am testing a 386 motherboard on an open test environment and I'm not very comfortable with using an AT PSU. I have an ATX to PSU adapter I am going to use but the most convenient ATX PSU I have has no -5V. Do 386 motherboards require -5V to boot, or is this something that ISA cards would require?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

😉

you can also just use a linear regulator inline with an ATX to AT cable to create -5V from the -12V line.

I don't plan to use any old PSUs in my builds, apart from thouroughly inspected/recapped ones maybe, it's the one part where I really don't care about "period accurate" as hardware is far too precious for that.

Reply 3 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboards - not.
But some ISA sound cards do require -5V.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 7, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I'm not mistaken, Pro Audio Spectrum 16 is one of those ISA cards that need -5v.

PS: There are ATX to AT converters you can buy that do include the -5v, I have several. However, the eBay seller seems to have closed his store. I wanted to buy a few more a while back but, alas...

Reply 5 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't believe I have any sound cards that require -5V, I doubt even the SnarkBarker requires it. As long as the motherboard plays ball, I'm OK 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-05-30, 11:02:
ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter! […]
Show full quote

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

😉

you can also just use a linear regulator inline with an ATX to AT cable to create -5V from the -12V line.

I don't plan to use any old PSUs in my builds, apart from thouroughly inspected/recapped ones maybe, it's the one part where I really don't care about "period accurate" as hardware is far too precious for that.

I understand that point but do I remember correctly reading that many (even good ones) modern PSU are not that good for retro stuff not only for the 5V strength but also for 3,3 and 5V stability? I remember reading those famous PSU in-deep reviews where they tested also how good they could be with old standards but many one seems to be not exactly suggested for that usage. I don't remember the name of the reviewer.

Reply 7 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-30, 11:56:

I don't believe I have any sound cards that require -5V, I doubt even the SnarkBarker requires it. As long as the motherboard plays ball, I'm OK 😀

Sound Blaster 2.0 doesn't work properly without one. SnarkBarker is a replica of SB 1.0 AFAIK so doesn't need one.

There is ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Blog|NexGen 586|S4