VOGONS

First post, by Sir_Squiddington

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new here and a bit new to retro stuff,
So essentially I'm trying to build a basic retro windows 98 build to play some games and run old software, and I have this small floppy disk drive, yet the connector on it is too small for my FDD cable. I've tried looking all over the place but I haven't found anything to help me. So I was wondering if anyone who comes across this post might be able to help me? Like I'm thinking maybe this is a floppy disk drive meant for a laptop or something? I haven't got any images of it yet and tbh I'm quite tired so I will be posting this and then going to bed so I'll try and get a picture of it and send it tomorrow if that helps.

On the bottom, however, there is some information which might be of some help: NEC FD1238T with the date being 2002.10. Hopefully, this will be of some help.

If anyone could help out that would be much appreciated, I do have some knowledge of retro stuff, I'm just a little bit of a noob I guess 🤣 as this will be my first retro build, with the last time that I even used a late 90s/early 2000s computer being years ago, like when I was 5 or 6 maybe 8 at the most 🤣(but this is partly why I wanted to build something from that era, and bring my dads Amigas out from the garage 🤣).

Many Thanks

Squid

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This floppy drive is for notebook and external floppy drive applications and requires a adapter but this is more trouble and money than what it is worth than actual PC 3.5" floppy drive with 34 pin ribbon cable and a motherboard with 34 pin header with floppy controller onboard.

Look for the 34 pin and 4 pin power interface in 3.5" x 1" form factor like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=3.5"+fl ... 67&bih=847

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by Sir_Squiddington

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah damn! thx for letting me know, I had a feeling this was the case but just wanted to find out from someone who knows more about the tech than me, I shall have to find another one then.

Many Thanks,

Squid