VOGONS

Reply 160 of 251, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have my VIA C3 box handy to try this and I don't know where that memory area is on it. I'm guessing the memory range that should be excluded can be easily identified by looking at memory contents with MSD or DEBUG. Did you get a look at the contents of that range, and if so, what did it look like?

Reply 162 of 251, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote on 2020-08-09, 05:06:
New commands added: cid - disable instruction cache. cie - enable instruction cache. ebd - disable branch prediction […]
Show full quote

New commands added:
cid - disable instruction cache.
cie - enable instruction cache.
ebd - disable branch prediction.
ebe - enable branch prediction.
edd - disable data prefetch.
ede - enable data prefetch.
it - show CPU core and package temperatures, if it has built-in digital thermal sensor and package thermal sensor.

What is the switch for disabling D-cache please? I have not seen it posted anywhere.

Thanks

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 164 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried using the program but without much success.
I am using a AMD K6 II+ 570Mhz, which for my tests was already booted in 66Mhz with External Cache Disabled. I also set the Multiplier to 2, and L1 as well as L2 were deactivated via setmul.

The program mentiones that ACPI is disabled. Don't see any option in my BIOS. I am using an ASCORP 5ali61, in the manual it lists the AMD K6 III+ which was released in 2000. So by date alone it should have ACPI and in the manual ACPI is listed as well.

I tried if prefetching does anything but it did not slow the PC down further. I also noted that it incorrectly identified the L1 cache as active. But it was already disabled via setmul. Disabling it via CPUSPD as well didnt change anything.

Reply 165 of 251, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The manual https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=674 states ACPI setting is in the "Power Management Setup" menu.

Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:35:

The program mentiones that ACPI is disabled. Don't see any option in my BIOS. I am using an ASCORP 5ali61, in the manual it lists the AMD K6 III+ which was released in 2000. So by date alone it should have ACPI and in the manual ACPI is listed as well.

Attachments

• t11.PNG
    Filename
    t11.PNG
    File size
    125.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    manual page 53 (18)
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 166 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
4xtx wrote on 2024-01-09, 03:47:

The manual https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=674 states ACPI setting is in the "Power Management Setup" menu.

Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:35:

Thanks a lot! Seems I am just blind. Will try it later today or tomorrow.

Reply 167 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested it now with ACPI on, and while it does not give an error anymore and it does save the setting (if you run cpuspd a), it does not seem to have any impact.
I set the throttle down to 1, it will then show its set to 1/8
on 3DBench V1.0 it has no impact.
then to be sure I rebooted again, also not using any memory extention (tried both)
disabled L1 and L2 again via setmul (which is incorrectly shown on cpuspd) and set it back to cpuspd 1
Ran ChrisBenchmark - no impact

In the readme it was mentioned that some benchmark programs overwrite the ACPI data (guess that will screw benchmarks?)
So I also tried a Game instead:
Wing Commandr 1, now with EMS - no impact

As some features in this BIOS category require a ATX Power supply, maybe ACPI in itself does as well? I am using an AT Power supply.
My BIOS is 2A5KKF9A and looks similar like in the manual posted above.
However Throttle Duty Cycle doesnt exist (I got wake on LAN use instead) and Bus Master doesnt exist either.
Is there any other setting I need to change?

On Another note: I also tried other programs. Maybe these help identify the issue?
Throttle: Just mentions that my chipset is unknown.
DOSSlow: Only brings score down from 11.9 to 11.3, no matter what value is set,
Pentslow: Just hangs the system
Slow (Slow 300): Tried several configurations. while DOS processing and DN starting up slower, it doesnt seem to have any impact on 3DBench or Wing Commander. Chris Benchmark totally freaks out.
Bremze: Bremze70 Leads immeadiately to glitches, Bremze08 immidiately turns itself off
MoSlo: doesn't low down beyond 10.9 (from 11.9)

Attachments

Reply 168 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-09-04, 02:32:

What is the switch for disabling D-cache please? I have not seen it posted anywhere.

Thanks

4xtx wrote on 2024-01-08, 13:47:

+1 - am so close to getting test drive 3 to run on the C3 😀

d-cache is the only thing enabled

Try "cde" and "cdd" for d-cache. If it's not working then there might be a bug.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 169 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-09, 23:16:
I tested it now with ACPI on, and while it does not give an error anymore and it does save the setting (if you run cpuspd a), it […]
Show full quote

I tested it now with ACPI on, and while it does not give an error anymore and it does save the setting (if you run cpuspd a), it does not seem to have any impact.
I set the throttle down to 1, it will then show its set to 1/8
on 3DBench V1.0 it has no impact.
then to be sure I rebooted again, also not using any memory extention (tried both)
disabled L1 and L2 again via setmul (which is incorrectly shown on cpuspd) and set it back to cpuspd 1
Ran ChrisBenchmark - no impact

In the readme it was mentioned that some benchmark programs overwrite the ACPI data (guess that will screw benchmarks?)
So I also tried a Game instead:
Wing Commandr 1, now with EMS - no impact

As some features in this BIOS category require a ATX Power supply, maybe ACPI in itself does as well? I am using an AT Power supply.
My BIOS is 2A5KKF9A and looks similar like in the manual posted above.
However Throttle Duty Cycle doesnt exist (I got wake on LAN use instead) and Bus Master doesnt exist either.
Is there any other setting I need to change?

On Another note: I also tried other programs. Maybe these help identify the issue?
Throttle: Just mentions that my chipset is unknown.
DOSSlow: Only brings score down from 11.9 to 11.3, no matter what value is set,
Pentslow: Just hangs the system
Slow (Slow 300): Tried several configurations. while DOS processing and DN starting up slower, it doesnt seem to have any impact on 3DBench or Wing Commander. Chris Benchmark totally freaks out.
Bremze: Bremze70 Leads immeadiately to glitches, Bremze08 immidiately turns itself off
MoSlo: doesn't low down beyond 10.9 (from 11.9)

Your problem might be similar to kikendo (see page 6), in that the ALi chipset was a very early version which has no throttle function (they are problematic because the chipsets were made during the very early days of ACPI, and the preliminary datasheet found on the internet doesn't match with the actual hardware in some instances). You can try CPUSPD ip to list the PCI devices which will show the chipset ID.

Reply 170 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2024-01-10, 07:04:

Your problem might be similar to kikendo (see page 6), in that the ALi chipset was a very early version which has no throttle function (they are problematic because the chipsets were made during the very early days of ACPI, and the preliminary datasheet found on the internet doesn't match with the actual hardware in some instances). You can try CPUSPD ip to list the PCI devices which will show the chipset ID.

Here are the results of using cpuspd i p, hope it gives any conclusions (it was run when the CPU was set to 66Mhz and Multiplier of 2):

cpuspd.png
Filename
cpuspd.png
File size
43.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also added a screenshot of speedsys:

vcs 2024-01-10 at 10.57.32.png
Filename
vcs 2024-01-10 at 10.57.32.png
File size
70.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 171 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-10, 09:49:

Here are the results of using cpuspd i p, hope it gives any conclusions (it was run when the CPU was set to 66Mhz and Multiplier of 2): cpuspd.png

cpuspd.png
Filename
cpuspd.png
File size
43.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also added a screenshot of speedsys: vcs 2024-01-10 at 10.57.32.png

The first entry:
Dev 0 Dev_ID 10B9:1541 Host bridge
indicates that the chipset is ALi M1541. You could take a look at your motherboard to verify the chipset is indeed an M1541.

Looking at the entries, it lacks a PMU (power management uint, ALi device id 10B9:7101, usually). Without a PMU it can't perform throttling. Checking the M1541 datasheet ver 1.20 confirms this (no mention of PMU in the datasheet). The ACPI function of this chipset supports only early implementation of power management like clock stop, suspend etc.

Reply 172 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If i see it correctly, it's an M1542 A1.
I guess the same applies there?

BTW I updated the BIOS using info here:
Bios Update, but how do I identify which one I got?
not sure if that matters in this case.

Attachments

Reply 173 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, M1541 M1542 are similar and shared the same datasheet. From the picture, there is also an M1543 on the motherboard which does have a PMU. The M1543 reported itself in the device detection as 1533. I checked the M1543 datasheet and it's PMU should have a device id of 10B9:7101, which did not show up in the device detection. Could you check again in the BIOS to see if this function is enabled?

Also, it would be useful to turn on debug mode and dump the PCI registers values of the M1543:
CPUSPD ipd10B9:1533 d t

Reply 174 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2024-01-10, 14:01:

Yeah, M1541 M1542 are similar and shared the same datasheet. From the picture, there is also an M1543 on the motherboard which does have a PMU. The M1543 reported itself in the device detection as 1533. I checked the M1543 datasheet and it's PMU should have a device id of 10B9:7101, which did not show up in the device detection. Could you check again in the BIOS to see if this function is enabled?

Also, it would be useful to turn on debug mode and dump the PCI registers values of the M1543:
CPUSPD ipd10B9:1533 d t

Attaching the output of that command as well as all the BIOS settings. Let me know if there is more I can check or try:

Attachments

Reply 175 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And the other pages:

Attachments

Reply 176 of 251, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cdd and cde are not working for me on either the eden based EPIA-ML or the c3 based PC1500 board I have.
Both are Nehemiah core

kalohimal wrote on 2024-01-10, 06:56:
mockingbird wrote on 2023-09-04, 02:32:

Thanks

4xtx wrote on 2024-01-08, 13:47:

+1 - am so close to getting test drive 3 to run on the C3 😀

d-cache is the only thing enabled

Try "cde" and "cdd" for d-cache. If it's not working then there might be a bug.

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 177 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
4xtx wrote on 2024-01-11, 12:10:

cdd and cde are not working for me on either the eden based EPIA-ML or the c3 based PC1500 board I have.
Both are Nehemiah core

Please enable debug mode and post the result:
CPUSPD d cdd cde

Reply 178 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-10, 21:27:

Attaching the output of that command as well as all the BIOS settings. Let me know if there is more I can check or try:

From the debug info, the ACPI tables are present but Throttle port address at 4010h doesn't look right. But in your case the first hurdle is to enable the PMU, which means that device 10B9:7101 must be present in the PCI device scan, otherwise it won't work because the required hardware is not present. You can try playing with the various settings in BIOS under "POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP", I have no idea which one it is.

Also, the CPUSPD ipd10B9:1533 in your screenshot didn't dump the PCI device register for some unknown reason. Please try "CPUSPD ipdb" instead (no need "d t").

Reply 179 of 251, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2024-01-11, 17:46:

From the debug info, the ACPI tables are present but Throttle port address at 4010h doesn't look right. But in your case the first hurdle is to enable the PMU, which means that device 10B9:7101 must be present in the PCI device scan, otherwise it won't work because the required hardware is not present. You can try playing with the various settings in BIOS under "POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP", I have no idea which one it is.

Also, the CPUSPD ipd10B9:1533 in your screenshot didn't dump the PCI device register for some unknown reason. Please try "CPUSPD ipdb" instead (no need "d t").

I am not sure how to interprete your last sentence. I tried "CPUSPD ipdb" as well as "CPUSPD ipdb10B9:1533" and a couple of other variantions but I only got this:

vcs 2024-01-11 at 21.20.20.png
Filename
vcs 2024-01-11 at 21.20.20.png
File size
78.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Let me know if I did anything wrong.

I also checked all BIOS options but couldnt get any 10B9:7101 to show up in "CPUSPD i p"
tested:
Power Management: User Define / Min Saving / Max Saving
modem use irq: NA/3
Video Off Option: Susp,Stby->Off/All Modes->Off/Always On/Suspend->Off
Video Off Method: DPMS Support / Blank Screen / V/H Sync+Blank
HDD Power Down: Disable / 1Min (Other durations not tested)
Doze Mode: Disable / 1Min (Other durations not tested)
Standybe Mode: Disable / 1Min (Other durations not tested)
Suspend Mode: Disable / 1Min (Other durations not tested)
Wake On LAN Use: NA / Thermal / DOCKJ / ACPower
Primary HDD: Disabled / Enabled
Floppy: Disabled / Enabled
COM Ports: Enabled / Disabled
Keyboard: Enabled / Disabled
LPT Ports: Disabled / Enabled

power button: Instant off/ 4 sec off/Disabled
dock i/o - Disabled/Enabled
ac power smi - Disabled/Enabled
thermal smi - Doze/Standby/suspend

Obviously didnt test all combinations, and also not all durations. But checked all states of every option. And if 10B9:7101 shows up. But it does not.