VOGONS

What is this IBM 486 board?

Topic actions

First post, by Beluga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got this 486 board, which is something that I normally do not collect. This one made me a bit curious though. It does have this weird power connector, SCSI and IDE(?) on board, but no floppy connector. It has a 1992 IBM copyright label. Is this from a special PS/2 machine?

Sadly, like with the PowerPC board that I posted in the other thread, I do not have the riser card for it. So I probably will never be able to test it.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know. I think there is some kind of mistake. This looks like a planar from a PS/2 model 76.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 23, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Beluga wrote on 2020-06-04, 01:40:

[...]

Sadly, like with the PowerPC board that I posted in the other thread, I do not have the riser card for it. So I probably will never be able to test it.

Why the riser board? If you can find or adapt a PSU to fit, this board has all you need to test - just add SIMMs and go. Big 'if' though...

Reply 5 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck with that...unless you know where to get a fast card for MCA bus.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That wasn't the point. You need the riser for a graphics card, otherwise you can't test it. It has no on-board graphics as far as I can see.

Also, there's an IBM XGA card for MCA listed at ebay right now for 50 bucks.

Reply 7 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's with the wiring on older IBM boards? I have 4 older IBM systems and 3 of those have these yellow wires. Factory defect repairs?

Reply 8 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That or revisions on the still-in-stock boards from an earlier revision. Sometimes this was done on Intel boards too. If you can fix boards this way, why not? These days it is likely cheaper to chuck them out and recycle.

Reply 9 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's with the wiring on older IBM boards? I have 4 older IBM systems and 3 of those have these yellow wires. Factory defect repairs?

Seems normal for IBM. I have a 5150 mainboard on which they apparently forgot (?) most of the traces for a 74LS32N and patched it all over the place.

Reply 10 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Beluga: Near the memory slots there is another sticker near the edge that has the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) number. That might give better results in a google search.

Reply 12 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:29:

Thanks, looks strange for a super expensive proprietary computer.

It would not surprise me if those boards were indeed put together partly by hand so fixing one with a few wires would still be cost-effective.

Reply 13 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:50:

It would not surprise me if those boards were indeed put together partly by hand so fixing one with a few wires would still be cost-effective.

End-users must have been less picky back then. If I ever saw something like that on my mainboard now I'd return it to the store immediately especially if the computer cost me $4000. Mass production changed the world indeed.

Reply 14 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:58:
evasive wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:50:

End-users must have been less picky back then. If I ever saw something like that on my mainboard now I'd return it to the store immediately especially if the computer cost me $4000. Mass production changed the world indeed.

If you opened up a mass-produced low-level computer the wires would still be dangling all over the place. Not from the board itself though.

Reply 15 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2020-06-04, 10:00:

If you opened up a mass-produced low-level computer the wires would still be dangling all over the place. Not from the board itself though.

My sister worked for Nokia and there were thousands of repaired mainboards in every shipment. Most of those repairs were crude but they were sold anyway because the customers never see the mainboard. They paid the same for a repaired unit. I'm not opposed to the idea of fixing fixable electronics, but selling them like they are flawless is appalling to me. Same with computers. I don't mind a few yellow wires in my IBM if the price is $4000 $3500.

Reply 17 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Possible pinout for the power supply (from an IBM PS/2 model 57SX):

Attachments

• atx-pinouts.jpg
    Filename
    atx-pinouts.jpg
    File size
    169.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-04, 10:59:

Yep, after some touchup the FRU reads 39G6086 indeed.