VOGONS

First post, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this in a scrap lot, and I'm going through tagging everything with identification, but I don't know what system this belongs to. It appears to be a RAM card, with what looks like 16-bit ISA on the opposite side to normal orientation. On the board, it says S-386 rev 1.1 with "RAM-2" on the label next to it. Each RAM chip is 256k. There are no FCC ID markers on it. PCB made by Reliance. I can't find anything else about it. Thanks!

2Ira1wU.jpg

CL9cc40.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like an AST memory card that fit in a special slot, there are other boards from other manufactures that also used that style memory add-on card on some early 286/386 based systems. No idea which system it originally came from.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the lead. I will look into it. 😀 I was thinking it had to some from some prebuilt type system, just didn't know where to start.

My Github

Reply 3 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not helpful to your ID, but in post #4 here there's an example of one for the Asus ISA-486C motherboard. They were typically proprietary:

ASUS 386/33-64K - cache upgrade?

I'd love one for my equivalent 386 mobo, but I doubt I'll ever find one.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After looking at it more closely it appears to be for an XT class machine. The 9 chip banks are typical when 41256 dips are used, where a 286 would have 18 of them. It also appears the front larger slot handles the data and the smaller back part handles addressing. Have only found one other card with similar "off set 16 bit ISA style" connector but it has SIMM sockets so not much of a lead....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's possible it could have came from an old industrial PC as well. It came in a random scrap lot, but the lot had other XT and 486 class hardware in it (EGA card, CGA card, IDE cache card, MFM controller, Mach64 VLB, Cirrus Logic VLB, and a RLL EDSI controller)

My Github