VOGONS

First post, by Mad_Wolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.
I have some old pc cases mostly white.
I clean them with retro bright but ı have problems with non white ones.
Have nearly with all blue plastic ones. They are also yellowish now 🙁
I tried to clean them with soap, oxi soap, bleach but got no result. Also tried retro bright with some parts and now they are clean but also a little bit white 😀
Any suggestion how to remove the yellowish colour?
Thanks

Reply 2 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're dead set on getting the correct color, you can paint it. A properly done paint job will look OEM, and stay that way as long as you don't chip it. It can be protected with a satin clear coat which does help. A lot of people here really disagree with paining, but it is up to you. It is difficult to color match, but custom colors can be ordered if you have a Pantone code, or one extremely close to the original. You can go to any paint store or even home depot to get free Pantone color charts to bring home and compare to what you need.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 13, by Mad_Wolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-06, 16:21:

If you're dead set on getting the correct color, you can paint it. A properly done paint job will look OEM, and stay that way as long as you don't chip it. It can be protected with a satin clear coat which does help. A lot of people here really disagree with paining, but it is up to you. It is difficult to color match, but custom colors can be ordered if you have a Pantone code, or one extremely close to the original. You can go to any paint store or even home depot to get free Pantone color charts to bring home and compare to what you need.

Just want the parts to be clean not the yellowish colour.
I think I will ruin it when painting.

Reply 6 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mad_Wolf wrote on 2020-06-06, 18:29:
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-06, 16:21:

Just want the parts to be clean not the yellowish colour.
I think I will ruin it when painting.

It is not always possible to unyellow, even with retrobrite. Often, the yellow comes back in a short period of time. I was offering one other solution that for sure would solve it, and of course said it is an unpopular way to do it because most people can't paint well enough to make it look OEM.

My Github

Reply 7 of 13, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This guy tried it but got mixed results.
RetroPC paint job Failure.
I'm 100% sure that it can be done because automotive painters have been painting plastics for ages with great success.
Too bad that's nearly impossible to do at home with DIY tools in the DIY price range.

Reply 8 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-07, 08:53:

I'm 100% sure that it can be done because automotive painters have been painting plastics for ages with great success.
Too bad that's nearly impossible to do at home with DIY tools in the DIY price range.

It's very easy to do and you don't need expensive equipment. You just need to use the correct spray paint and the correct technique.

Plastics are best spayed using Vinyl Dye (~20€ for a 400ml can of the good VHT stuff). If you try to use cheap spray paint from the hardware store next corner, you f*cked up already.

Second - what most people fail to understand - you never ever spray directly on the object. You start and stop spraying away from the object and move in steady waves over it, so that the spray mist will slowly cover the surface of the object.

Reply 9 of 13, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-06-07, 09:05:

It's very easy to do and you don't need expensive equipment. You just need to use the correct spray paint and the correct technique.

VHT vinyl dye? Which color code do you recommend for the average beige case? I don't trust retrobrighting anymore and I have yet to try painting.

Reply 10 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used satin white last time. That stuff is a bit hard to get in Germany, especially if you don't run a business (most don't sell to individuals), so I had a limited choice of colors. But if you have a beige case and want to keep its color, it would be RAL 9001.

Reply 11 of 13, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-06-07, 09:30:

I used satin white last time. That stuff is a bit hard to get in Germany, especially if you don't run a business (most don't sell to individuals), so I had a limited choice of colors. But if you have a beige case and want to keep its color, it would be RAL 9001.

Thanks, I'll try it!

Reply 12 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the vinyl dye reminder. I used some on car interior plastic parts about 15 years ago and forgot all about it. It works great.

My Github