VOGONS

Save or recycle hardware.

Topic actions

First post, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through my stash of "I'll check that later" things.
And found this mobo:

AValQa8m.jpg

Generally I like Asrock, they tend to do weird and sometimes useful and cool stuff.
But to my eyes this is just a cheap generic Socket A with no interesting features.
Add bulging caps to that and it feels like a recycling thing to me.
Or am I missing something?

Reply 1 of 28, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-06-06, 19:05:
Going through my stash of "I'll check that later" things. And found this mobo: […]
Show full quote

Going through my stash of "I'll check that later" things.
And found this mobo:

AValQa8m.jpg

Generally I like Asrock, they tend to do weird and sometimes useful and cool stuff.
But to my eyes this is just a cheap generic Socket A with no interesting features.
Add bulging caps to that and it feels like a recycling thing to me.
Or am I missing something?

It's certainly not the world's most desirable socket A board . That said, these things are getting rarer all the time as no more will ever be made, so I always try to avoid recycling if it can be reused (and repaired, if required) by trying to find a new home for the things I don't need/won't use . Bad through-hole caps are a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things .

Never forget that one person's trash is another person's treasure .

Reply 3 of 28, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going price for a proper refurbished one is $50 at the moment and is likely to go up. Right now it is the 486/socket4/5/7 fetching crazy prices, these things will be next in a few years. Repair it, sit on it for a while, it will reward you no doubt.

Reply 4 of 28, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket A boards are more or less of no value, and Asrock is almost as bad as it could get. A set of new caps to replace the bulging ones will cost you more than the board is worth. I don't see much reason not to recycle it if you have no use for it and don't want to become a hoader. Last year, I trashed a pile of about 20 similar Socket A and 775 boards, because they were all nothing special and would have required recapping. I know many people don't like that, but not everything old has value.

Going price for a proper refurbished one is $50 at the moment

Buy-it-Now prices from traders of retro hardware are completely unimportant. Check for what was actually sold. Even working ones with manual and driver disc included don't even hit 30 bucks.

Reply 5 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

never destroy/recycle ANYTHING that is working.

Even if you never plan to use it.

There may come a day where you need to test some old hardware. Do you risk your "valueable" boards or do you put this on the testbench?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a somewhat interesting board because of the SIS chipset. What model number is the C-Media audio chip?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me, the most noticeable thing at first glance would be that it's using a SiS chipset. So that could be seen as something that is perhaps somewhat unusual if you consider that sA seems to be mostly Via and NF territory.
Can't remember having ever used a K7S8X before. Asrock seemed more like a budget Asus at the time, only coming to fame later with their oddboards 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 28, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I genuinely only recycle things if they're broken or damaged, even unwanted cables I'll often rubber band up and donate to the thrift store. Sometimes I'll recycle a computer that's technically working but in really sorry shape if I find a basically identical replacement in much better shape and/or better equipped with cards/drives, like I recently did with a Gateway Pentium 4 machine.

Reply 10 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-06-06, 21:12:

Alright you convinced me, its a keeper and a future project then.

The stack of broken 9800 PRO's however is going!
Zero chance of fixing those fried GPU's

Stick them up on eBay. Somebody will buy them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 28, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep plenty of socket A boards around in case I need one down the road after my favorites die.

Generally anything you don't want or need is somebody elses treasure so don't recycle working parts just send them to somebody else who needs them.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 28, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dare I ask, how do you fry a stack of 9800 PROs...

Reply 14 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alright you convinced me, its a keeper and a future project then.

Perhaps someday you will want to desolder the working (and by then extremely rare!!!11) memory chips off of those boards 😜

But to be serious, even nonworking parts will still look nice when on display at some collector's house.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-07, 10:06:

It was quite common that the GPU cooked itself to death due to the inadequate factory cooler

I actually was gifted a Medion 9800XL a long time ago and I never dared to use it because I knew how hard to find these had already become when wanting to finding a working part. It's supposed to be in working condition though, but I'd better remove the shim first + adding better cooling before I test it out.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a bit of a hoarder but even I have to offload hardware from time to time.
My rule is ebay it off at a .99 start price. If it doesn't go by the 3rd attempt it's off to hardware heaven.

Reply 16 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if it doesn't go for .99 the 3rd time try putting it all in as a lot... I often don't go for even the cheapest items I'd want even, because shipping costs for single items just make it too expensive in the end, but I often go for lots because of that reason.

Reply 18 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:34:

Even with 462 boards becoming harder to find I don't thing this one is worth saving other then for a test bead system.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to repair the old 5v PSUs with the beefy 5v rails?
Because this is one of the more major issues when dealing with sA boards these days. Still I would probably keep that Asrock board if only because of the chipset and because I have the space for it anyway.

Report spammers here!