Save or recycle hardware.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:53:
austinham wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:34:

Even with 462 boards becoming harder to find I don't thing this one is worth saving other then for a test bead system.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to repair the old 5v PSUs with the beefy 5v rails?
Because this is one of the more major issues when dealing with sA boards these days. Still I would probably keep that Asrock board if only because of the chipset and because I have the space for it anyway.

latter boards use 12v. But I hear you. There are a lot of PSUs with good 5v rails out there. Turbo cool and other PCP&C PSUs can be found all day long NOS even. Yet hardly no one touches them.

Reply 21 of 28, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:53:
austinham wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:34:

Even with 462 boards becoming harder to find I don't thing this one is worth saving other then for a test bead system.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to repair the old 5v PSUs with the beefy 5v rails?
Because this is one of the more major issues when dealing with sA boards these days. Still I would probably keep that Asrock board if only because of the chipset and because I have the space for it anyway.

Most of the time it is just the capacitors that have gone sour. Replacing those in a regular ATX PSU is a walk in the park compared to the small form factor boxes. Those look like they have been in a car press, nothing is reachable, need to disect it normally. Make sure your soldering iron is big enough I'd say 😀

Reply 22 of 28, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got around to sorting this mobo.
Replaced 8 caps (same brand), the rest looks OK.
And did a thorough cleaning.

Turns out its a fairly decent board under that boring looks!
Rock solid with 8x AGP and SBA enabled (nVidia FX5700VE GC).
And integrated LAN+Audio is convenient.

Performance from the chipset might not have been that exciting when it was released.
But nowadays who cares if it's 1-2% slower ? =)

Reply 23 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats! Nice board, with simple and clean design. I'm slowly expanding my collection, but so far all my Sk.A boards are VIA or Nvidia-based.

Last two weeks have been Socket A-repair galore for me, saved from their doom boards like Abit KW7, Gigabyte 7VT600 and 7N400SL, two MSI KT4V, Jetway 867ASH, all with various problems like bloated or ripped off capacitors, missing parts (mostly SMDs), broken traces. Upcoming are a Soltek 75FRN2 and a GA-7VTXH+ 😁

Reply 25 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I go through stages sometimes. Keep for decades or straight to recycling. really don't know how many systems I've stripped over the years and had a "it's all gotta go moment".

Had a ton of fun working in the two broken HP/Compaq CQ62s from 2010ish I got given recently 😉.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 26 of 28, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Asrock K7S8X in my secondary computer for a few years. It was a Duron 1400 overclocked to about 1.9ghz and it ran really stable while I used it. Together with a gf4 ti4400 it was a pretty good gaming rig to a very low cost.

I still have the motherboard somewhere but I think it need new capasitors now. The CPU died when I tried to unlock the multiplier...

Reply 27 of 28, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed during my torture of this board that the CPU VRM's get really hot.
Hot enough to be painful for a probing finger (underside of the board) after more then a few seconds.
This is with a TB 2800+ which is close to max what the board supports when it comes to power consumption.
Still, I'm using an open testbed with an 120mm fan blowing directly over the NB and CPU area.

Reply 28 of 28, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the datasheet, I bet they're well within specification.
If you can touch an IC but it quickly gets too hot to leave your finger on it that indicates ~60-70°C. That seems plausible with VRM designs of similar boards.