VOGONS

First post, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have an untested slotcket Socket 370 to Slot 1 adapter (don't recall to have it tested in the past). It has got a SL3R2 Pentium III 500. I would like to test it but need to understand if there's any risk to "break" things, I don't want to lose my precious PIII motherboard. Any precaution I need to take before testing it?

I have two Slot 1 Motherboards:
- QDI Legend V - Pentium II 333Mhz
- Gigabyte GA-6BXE - Pentium III 500Mhz

I understand that it will work on the 6BXE, QDI Legend V only supports 66Mhz FSB.

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• 370CPU.jpg
    Filename
    370CPU.jpg
    File size
    78.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the 6BXE; what's your board revision (seems to need v2.0 or greater) and bios revision (seems to need F1 or greater) combo, and if those are OK then the right jumper settings for 500/100

https://web.archive.org/web/19991018191756/ht … per/6BXEjp.html

Reply 2 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at the card I believe it's quite possible it'll only work with PPGA Celerons, not FCPGA Coppermines.
Socket 370 was changed slightly for Coppermine and with many slockets you'll need a jumper to configure them for either.

Reply 3 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-09, 08:17:

Looking at the card I believe it's quite possible it'll only work with PPGA Celerons, not FCPGA Coppermines.
Socket 370 was changed slightly for Coppermine and with many slockets you'll need a jumper to configure them for either.

It seems that it was working with a SL3R2 (Intel Pentium III 500E Coppermine). I can not remember how I got this but definitely I have not seen it working.

Reply 4 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-06-09, 08:12:

With the 6BXE; what's your board revision (seems to need v2.0 or greater) and bios revision (seems to need F1 or greater) combo, and if those are OK then the right jumper settings for 500/100

https://web.archive.org/web/19991018191756/ht … per/6BXEjp.html

It's a 1.9B. Already set up for 500/100. It's working with an slot 1 PIII. I will check the BIOS revision later today, it's not connected right now.

My main concern was if there could be any possibility to "burn" the motherboard. I will test it this week.

Thanks!

Attachments

• GA-6BXE.jpg
    Filename
    GA-6BXE.jpg
    File size
    89.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
esbardu wrote on 2020-06-09, 07:26:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

I have an untested slotcket Socket 370 to Slot 1 adapter (don't recall to have it tested in the past). It has got a SL3R2 Pentium III 500. I would like to test it but need to understand if there's any risk to "break" things, I don't want to lose my precious PIII motherboard. Any precaution I need to take before testing it?

I understand that it will work on the 6BXE, QDI Legend V only supports 66Mhz FSB.

Thanks for your advice.

I can give you some (generic) hints&tips on how to proceed in situations like these.

First 2 things you would need to do is to 1) check the hardware for any obvious signs of damages and 2) find the manual.

Googling 370CPU rev 1.0 got me to this page (2nd hit on my end) which states this:

Slotket Slocket Adapter 370SP Rev 1.0 Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1 Supports Intel Celeron CPUs 533 MHz and less No Pentium III CPUs, […]
Show full quote

Slotket Slocket Adapter 370SP Rev 1.0
Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1
Supports Intel Celeron CPUs 533 MHz and less
No Pentium III CPUs, No Celeron CPUs over 533 MHz
Slotket Slocket Adapter - 370SP Rev 1.0 - Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1 - For PPGA Celeron
CPU
This Socket 370 to Slot 1 CPU Adapter Card allows older Celeron Socket-370 type CPUs
533 MHz and under to be used in older Slot-1 Pentium II and Pentium III motherboards.
Features:
Allows a Socket-370 Celeron PPGA CPU (a Celeron 533 MHz or less) to be installed
in a Slot-1 style Pentium II or Pentium III motherboard.
Auto-detects CPU voltage settings from motherboard or the voltage can be set by
jumpers.

so apparently your particular adapter is not made to work with anything but s370 Mendocino (the earliest s370 Celeron CPUs (the ones with the black&metal colored CPU package)).
This doesn't guarantee that it will not work with anything more modern or that it will burn and explode when you try to make it run with a Coppermine in it, but it was at least not made for it. From what I can find at least.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-09, 16:18:
I can give you some (generic) hints&tips on how to proceed in situations like these. […]
Show full quote
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.

I can give you some (generic) hints&tips on how to proceed in situations like these.

First 2 things you would need to do is to 1) check the hardware for any obvious signs of damages and 2) find the manual.

Googling 370CPU rev 1.0 got me to this page (2nd hit on my end) which states this:

Slotket Slocket Adapter 370SP Rev 1.0 Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1 Supports Intel Celeron CPUs 533 MHz and less No Pentium III CPUs, […]
Show full quote

Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1
Slotket Slocket Adapter - 370SP Rev 1.0 - Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1 - For PPGA Celeron
CPU
This Socket 370 to Slot 1 CPU Adapter Card allows older Celeron Socket-370 type CPUs
533 MHz and under to be used in older Slot-1 Pentium II and Pentium III motherboards.
Features:
Allows a Socket-370 Celeron PPGA CPU (a Celeron 533 MHz or less) to be installed
jumpers.

so apparently your particular adapter is not made to work with anything but s370 Mendocino (the earliest s370 Celeron CPUs (the ones with the black&metal colored CPU package)).
This doesn't guarantee that it will not work with anything more modern or that it will burn and explode when you try to make it run with a Coppermine in it, but it was at least not made for it. From what I can find at least.

Thanks, I think it's not the same adapter, anyhow I will not take the risk as it would be just for testing, CPU on the slotcket is a PIII 500 and the one installed in the motherborad is also a PIII 500 (Katmai vs Coppermine).

Reply 8 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-09, 16:18:
I can give you some (generic) hints&tips on how to proceed in situations like these. […]
Show full quote
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.

Show full quote

Socket 370 CPU To Slot 1
CPU
Features:
jumpers.

I had found this link https://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html, but as I said before I will not test it right now. If at the end I manage to get a faster Pentium III I will check.

Reply 9 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have finally tested, motherboard is safe but adapter does not work, at least not for this board. It does not detect the processor.

Attachments

• SlotNotWork.jpg
    Filename
    SlotNotWork.jpg
    File size
    592.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
esbardu wrote on 2020-06-11, 18:43:

I have finally tested, motherboard is safe but adapter does not work, at least not for this board. It does not detect the processor.

Does it work with a s370 Mendocino? It should work, but might as well try so you know that the adapter works properly and it is just a compatibility issue.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I mentioned, that combination was never going to work with what you have but with a better vrm-capable sloket you do have options.

This is an official cpu compatibility chart (for proper slot 1 cpus only) that Gigabyte issued for their BX board series...

Filename
p3_celeronslot1_cpusupportlist.pdf
File size
12.71 KiB
Downloads
152 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...so the 6BXE needs a minimum v2.x board + F1 bios to support lower coppermine core voltages. However, a vrm-capable sloket opens up the possibilities of using skt 370 coppermine cpus on even early revision boards. As a good example, my v2.5A GA-6BA doesn't support any slot 1 coppermines but is quite happy to run a skt 370 coppermine 800MHz on the vrm-capable ABit Slotket !!!

In your case, this 2002 quote seems like good place to start assessing what your board version is capable of

"With the the BXE rev 1.9 board the following maximum processor speeds apply.

SLOT 1 - 550MHz Intel Pentium III (Katmai cored processors only) <- These are the
2 volt processors
SLOT 1 - 500MHz - 1000MHz Coppermine cored processors are UNSUPPORTED. <- These
are the 1.65 - 1.75 volt processors.
SOCKET 370 - PPGA - All Intel Celerons to 533MHz
SOCKET 370 - FCPGA - PIII - With the appropriate Slotket (One that is fitted with
an onboard voltage regulator), 850MHz is the official limit for PIII's (That is,
any PIII processor up to 850MHz that uses a 100MHz Front Side Bus).
SOCKET 370 - FCPGA - CELERON - With the appropriate Slotket (One fitted with a
voltage regulator), 1000MHz is the official limit for Celeron's.
SOCKET 370 - FCPGA2 - PIII & CELERON- None! (The Tualatin cored processors are NOT
compatible with this board, even with a PowerLeap convertor as there is NO BIOS
SUPPORT for these processors and as a result, it will not boot)

Slotkets known to work with the BXE that provide voltage regulation are the IWill
Slotket II and the ABit Slotket !!!.

HTH

--
Jeff Cochrane
Jeff's Computers.
Cairns, QLD, Australia.
"

Reply 12 of 12, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Upgraded to F1 and got it working! Thanks!

Good news is that I have also tested a PII 350 that I had in the same box and it also works.

Now I need to find a 850 Coppermine 😀 and also see if it makes any sense to use Coppermine 500 vs Katmai 500.

Attachments

• IMG_5299.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5299.JPG
    File size
    438.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5296.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5296.JPG