VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I currently use a 386 for my dos gaming but for a while now figured I want to upgrade to a later model 486. Everytime I saw one it costed to much but recently got this for free:

ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Rev 3.0 motherboard with a Cyrix 6x86 P166 running at 133mhz.

Now I was first planning on selling this to fund my 486. I got an offer of 50 euro for it but then started wondering. Naturally this is a little bit faster than a 486 but would it work fine as a pure dos 6.22 system? The motherboard has 40mb edo ram. Does it have any disadvantages compatibility and performance wise over lets say a 486dx66?

Reply 1 of 9, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's for games, I would check out: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

If you also keep the 386 I think the only games that are problematic are the later SVGA titles and titles like Quake.

YouTube

Reply 2 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you already have a 386, I'd say that a 486 is redundant.

There are some games that need an early 486 (25 or 33MHz). There aren't many titles that really need a DX2 or DX4, but would run too fast on a Cyrix like the one you have. On the other hand, there are quite a lot of DOS games that won't run smoothly on a 486 — especially FPS titles like Duke Nukem, Blood, Descent, Quake. They will be playable on a fast 486, but it will probably take a Pentium-class CPU for you to enjoy them. So if anything, I would upgrade the CPU and keep the motherboard, because it's really nice for a fast Pentium MMX that will be fast enough for any DOS game.

Really, in most cases there is no reason to build a 486 unless you specifically want to mess with the hardware. Says the guy who probably spent a lot more money and time on 486 than any other platform in his collection. The parts for 486 are expensive and often require a lot of trial and error. And in the end you can only hope to somewhat match the performance of a low-end Pentium.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 9, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2020-06-10, 11:02:

I would upgrade the CPU and keep the motherboard, because it's really nice for a fast Pentium MMX that will be fast enough for any DOS game.

I am trying to follow here. Are you advising me to keep the asus motherboard but not use the cyrix?

Reply 5 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-06-10, 11:15:
jheronimus wrote on 2020-06-10, 11:02:

I would upgrade the CPU and keep the motherboard, because it's really nice for a fast Pentium MMX that will be fast enough for any DOS game.

I am trying to follow here. Are you advising me to keep the asus motherboard but not use the cyrix?

Cyrix get a lot of bad press because of their FPU, but in DOS that's relevant only if you play Quake. Basically no other DOS game both uses FPU and is demanding enough that you'd notice the difference.

I'd agree you should keep that board - it's a classic, solid, well-supported and documented, and flexible. If you have a 386 for old stuff, there's nothing a 486 can do that this board can't, and a lot of later DOS games will run much better on a Pentium-class chip than on a 486.

486 have lots of 'character', but for actually running stuff withought always worrying about the hardware, a good solid So7 board wins every time.

Reply 6 of 9, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found myself in a similar situation last year. Shopping for a 486, and a Pentium 90 system fell into my lap. I run it as a pure DOS system and as others have said, it really increases the enjoyment of early FPS games. Fun to chuck a Voodoo 1 in too. The only dilemma is the nagging feeling that you can unlock so much more from that era... as you're now in the arena that tops out at a 1ghz PIII Win98 system. Whereas you can upgrade a 486 to the max and know you've squeezed the most out of that era.

But exploring the limits of slower systems can be fun and rewarding too. I did end up with a 486, but I've kept it at its stock SX/25 spec (I have a Pentium to play Doom etc after all). I love seeing what both systems can do. Bulding a high spec 386 now which will give the 486 a run for its money.

Reply 7 of 9, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very interesting replies here, thanks for that. I do have a voodoo1 I am not using. I already have a win 98se system with a voodoo 5 5500. So now I am pondering to keep the asus, cyrix setup for dos and early glide games like gta, carma and tr1.. now I do not want to lose pure (non 3dfx) dos gaming and dont want to end up with a win 98 system..

Reply 8 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-06-10, 11:15:

Yes. From what you've said it looks like you have two rigs: a 386 for speed-sensitive games and a Cyrix for all other DOS games. In this scenario I would make the "fast" rig faster, not slower — in order to cover more games.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the others have said go for the Pentium system initially. This is from a guy with a few 486s, mainly because that is the era systems I'm mainly interested in. More for the different OSs/GUIs that were available at the time they were popular rather than games though.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉