VOGONS

First post, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just got a working 486 motherboard, but it has no identificable markings whatsoever. It seems to be based on SiS 496/497 chipset, has 3 PCI slots and 4 ISA slots. It also seems to have integrated IDE controller, but curiously, doesn't seem to have an identificable floppy connector, but I could be mistaken. For several hours I've went through known lists of motherboards watching pictures but can't find a match. A very distinctive feature of this motherboard are 4 DIP chips on a side of PCI slots, whereas most similar motherboards have SMD chips.

BIOS mentions this string on bottom: "03/31/95-SIS-496-497/a/b/2a4IBR21-00". On the back there are markings "tmf m21 94v-o", which don't seem to say anything.

Any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Thanks to all people who replied here, this has been identified as ATC/UNITRON U 6921, also known as "Terminator" board. Its configuration and jumpers are described here and here.

A useful guide for a similar board that has same CPU type jumpers with helpful pictures is in attachment below. I have also attached a working BIOS dump that came with this board.

Attachments

Last edited by ykot on 2020-06-15, 16:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This board has no serial or PS/2 ports either . The manufacturer decided to cheap-out on a super-io chip, but decided to provide cache sockets . Interesting design decisions for a board of that vintage .

Reply 4 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually not all that interesting. It was quite common idea to not include IO and instead add another 8-bit/16-bit ISA slot.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:16:

Actually not all that interesting. It was quite common idea to not include IO and instead add another 8-bit/16-bit ISA slot.

On older machines this was quite common, but on a late-vintage 486, I am still surprised . The again, I have definitely not seen it all .

Reply 7 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:41:

Is it possible this board was for some kind of embedded system?
It does seem odd to leave out all onboard interfaces *except* IDE.

IDE was integrated in the SIS 496/497 chipset, so there was no extra cost except the connectors and a few passive components .

Reply 8 of 25, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the identification guys, I really appreciate your help!

darry wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:15:

This board has no serial or PS/2 ports either . The manufacturer decided to cheap-out on a super-io chip, but decided to provide cache sockets . Interesting design decisions for a board of that vintage .

I was really hoping that JP1 would be a PS/2 connector, but no, it turned out to be an external battery connector; otherwise I had really high hopes for this board.

There are some good things in this motherboard like PCI slots, up to 128Mb of memory support, small dimensions and support for different voltages like 3.45V, so I could finally test my TI processor. The downsides are lack of PS/2 connector, complicated jumper settings for CPU type that come in two rows continuously in various lengths from 2 to 5 (so need to draw that in an Excel spreadsheet before working with them - it's very easy to lose track where each jumper starts/ends) and 1.5 Gb hard disk limit. I also haven't seen 512Mb (or 256Mb for that matter) cache that would come in just 4(+1) chips.

Also, finding updated BIOS for this motherboard seems to be a futile endeavor.

Reply 9 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ykot wrote on 2020-06-14, 00:05:

I was really hoping that JP1 would be a PS/2 connector, but no, it turned out to be an external battery connector; otherwise I had really high hopes for this board.

There are some good things in this motherboard like PCI slots, up to 128Mb of memory support, small dimensions and support for different voltages like 3.45V, so I could finally test my TI processor. The downsides are lack of PS/2 connector, complicated jumper settings for CPU type that come in two rows continuously in various lengths from 2 to 5 (so need to draw that in an Excel spreadsheet before working with them - it's very easy to lose track where each jumper starts/ends) and 1.5 Gb hard disk limit. I also haven't seen 512Mb (or 256Mb for that matter) cache that would come in just 4(+1) chips.

Also, finding updated BIOS for this motherboard seems to be a futile endeavor.

Jumpers not near as bad as some PcChips 486 boards. The BIOS HD limit is either 504Mb or 8Gb for that era (unless using an early modified BIOS translation scheme but that would be 4Gb limit, not 1.5Gb). DOS 6.x has a 2Gb limit, not sure where you got 1.5Gb but then do not know what you are using for an HD. For cache some boards did use 1Mbit dips and those that do have 512k cache typically can not cache any more ram than using 256k cache. Has to do with the TAG chip, it actually sets the max ram cached, not the actual cache size afaik. Just an observation: you bought an AT motherboard so you should expect it to need an AT keyboard.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 25, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made by a company called Rectron, their "Terminator" board. I have surprisingly little info on this one right now.
Can you make a backup of the bios first and post it somewhere for download?

Into the Russian scans we go...

Reply 11 of 25, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And we seem to have something that might match.

Can you please check and confirm this is right or not?

Attachments

• Filename
    SiS_80486.zip
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File comment
    Possible Rectron Terminator jumper settings
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 13 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@evasive This isn't the right manual : in your manual the mobo has three ISA slots but this mobo has four. Most of the connectors/jumpers are matching or matching closely so this may be just a different revision ? who knows.

There are also com ports and a floppy disk connector in the manual you've found.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14 of 25, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, there is a very similar version of the same board with I/O controller:
https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/A-B/33161.htm

serial/parallel headers are were the 4th ISA slot would have been.

Reply 15 of 25, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-14, 04:13:

DOS 6.x has a 2Gb limit, not sure where you got 1.5Gb but then do not know what you are using for an HD.

I've put a 8Gb HDD and BIOS detected it as ~1.5Gb. However, it does work correctly with my SD card adapter and a 1Gb SD card, so I assumed the limit was somewhere around 1.5Gb.

Horun wrote on 2020-06-14, 04:13:

Just an observation: you bought an AT motherboard so you should expect it to need an AT keyboard.

I meant PS/2 connector for mouse, some motherboards like my FIC 480-VIP-IO have such connector, so I thought this one would have it too, before knowing which motherboard it was. I actually got it in its own very nice looking compact AT case (w/LED panel) and a working AT power supply. After some cleaning and whitening it'll look gorgeous. 😀

Last edited by ykot on 2020-06-14, 18:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 25, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-06-14, 07:42:

And we seem to have something that might match.

It is not exactly the same board, jumper numbers are different as well as some connectors, as Deksor said. However, CPU type jumpers seem to match overall configuration - initially they were configured just as in the manual for Cyrix processor, which I removed. I adjusted them according to images for Intel DX/DX2/DX4, but the motherboard still detects my TI DX2/80 as a Cyrix chip, maybe because it is using 3.45 voltage.

evasive wrote on 2020-06-14, 07:23:

Made by a company called Rectron, their "Terminator" board. I have surprisingly little info on this one right now.
Can you make a backup of the bios first and post it somewhere for download?

I have attached current working BIOS dump from this board. It seems to be using STM M27C1001 UV-erasable EPROM.

evasive wrote on 2020-06-14, 07:43:

As for the bios disk limit, since it is Award it may be patched for disks up to 64GB or even 128-ish GB. We have tools for that, alas no 100% guarantee.

Can you please elaborate more on this? I would definitely like to try it.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 25, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ykot wrote on 2020-06-14, 17:48:

I've put a 8Gb HDD and BIOS detected it as ~1.5Gb. However, it does work correctly with my SD card adapter and a 1Gb SD card, so I assumed the limit was somewhere around 1.5Gb.

I guess the BIOS has a 2 GiB limit (that is 2 * 2^30) bytes and takes capacity modulo 2GiB. A drive sold as "8 gigabytes" has 8GB (that is 8 * 10^9), which is around 7.45 GiB. 7.45 GiB modulo 2 GiB is 1.45 GiB, which is likely the cause for the capacity you observed.

Reply 18 of 25, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 separate tools for doing this. I have tried both and both tell me this bios has no module available for patching i.e. this bios is too old to be patched with this method I am afraid.

Reply 19 of 25, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-06-15, 14:05:

There are 2 separate tools for doing this. I have tried both and both tell me this bios has no module available for patching i.e. this bios is too old to be patched with this method I am afraid.

Could you please mention what tools are that? I would like to try something like this even if it's not specific to this board.