VOGONS

First post, by morrysillusion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, ive been trying to find some kind of support for this issue as google gives me no results, so i hope this forum will do.
i have an old toshiba portege t3400ct laptop, it works just fine but the issue is that the pointer on the keyboard is broken- its quite roughed up and does no respond at all.

im not an expert by any means so i would like to know if 1) is there a way to fix the pointer? or 2) can a mouse be plugged into any of the ports of this laptop?

here are all the images of this PC to show all possible ports.
https://imgur.com/a/N87MDTL

EDIT 2022: editting this post to state i fixed the keyboard by replacing it entirely and the pointer and all that works fine. there were other issues with the keyboard too so it works fine now.

Last edited by morrysillusion on 2022-05-02, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only option you have to connect an external mouse to that laptop is using the serial port (the 9-pin one) on the back of the laptop. However, there are no optical mice compatible with serial ports, you'd have to get an old ball mouse.

Reply 2 of 11, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can connect Serial mouse via serial com port:

Screenshot-1.png

only optional port replicator contain ps/2 and VGA ports: PA2703U

aha2940 wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:48:

However, there are no optical mice compatible with serial ports, you'd have to get an old ball mouse.

Really?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPtical-Laser-Serial … in/172255744441

Last edited by MAZter on 2020-06-13, 02:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 11, by morrysillusion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:50:
You can connect Serial mouse via serial com port: […]
Show full quote

Screenshot-1.png

is there any recommendation as to what brand to buy or sites most reliable to buy from? i forgot that i did in fact by a serial mouse from amazon, but it just didnt work at all. i would rather not risk that again. would it be best to purchase from ebay and not a random source on amazon? additionally, would an adapter possibly work? like serial to ps2? i know i have working ps2 mice.

Last edited by morrysillusion on 2020-06-13, 02:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

However, there are no optical mice compatible with serial ports, you'd have to get an old ball mouse.

Really?

Does that require the special mouse pad though?

Reply 5 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
morrysillusion wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:54:

is there any recommendation as to what brand to buy or sites most reliable to buy from? i forgot that i did in fact by a serial mouse from amazon, but it just didnt work at all. i would rather not risk that again. would an adapter possibly work? like serial to ps2?

Adapters exist but they are just wires. The mouse specifically has to support both serial and PS/2. It's the same situation as those that can do either USB or PS/2 with a passive adapter.

Reply 6 of 11, by morrysillusion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-13, 02:55:

is there any recommendation as to what brand to buy or sites most reliable to buy from? i forgot that i did in fact by a serial mouse from amazon, but it just didnt work at all. i would rather not risk that again. would an adapter possibly work? like serial to ps2?

Adapters exist but they are just wires. The mouse specifically has to support both serial and PS/2. It's the same situation as those that can do either USB or PS/2 with a passive adapter.

alright, thank you for letting me know.

Reply 8 of 11, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
You can connect Serial mouse via serial com port: […]
Show full quote

Screenshot-1.png

Really?

I meant more like a modern optical mouse that works on any surface, not old ones requiring a custom mousepad to work. The price on that one is not that bad though, might be interesting for OP.

Reply 9 of 11, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is there any recommendation as to what brand to buy or sites most reliable to buy from? i forgot that i did in fact by a serial mouse from amazon, but it just didnt work at all. i would rather not risk that again. would it be best to purchase from ebay and not a random source on amazon? additionally, would an adapter possibly work? like serial to ps2? i know i have working ps2 mice.

Not every ps/2 mouse works together with ps/2/serial adapter.
So for fully authenticity I strong recommend to buy serial mouse, or mouse that described as special ps/2/serial compatible mouse. Any mouse (or pointer) require Dos driver to work, most well known is ctmouse. So make sure your pointer not working after loading this driver.

Reply 10 of 11, by morrysillusion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2020-06-13, 03:03:

Not every ps/2 mouse works together with ps/2/serial adapter.
So for fully authenticity I strong recommend to buy serial mouse, or mouse that described as special ps/2/serial compatible mouse. Any mouse (or pointer) require Dos driver to work, most well known is ctmouse. So make sure your pointer not working after loading this driver.

alrigh, thanks. i will try the adapter (which i believe i have already) with the ps2 mice i have and if that doesnt work ill probably just go and get a serial mouse anyways. i will also be sure to looking ctmouse, i vaguely recall looking into that when trying to solce this issue months back but cant recall what i did at this point.

Reply 11 of 11, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
morrysillusion wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:06:

1) is there a way to fix the pointer?

At least pointer cap should be replaced. I'm not sure if it possible to buy original without keyboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Laptop-Keybo … 40/192848829290

Sometimes my laptop pointer stops working if the cap is not installed correctly