VOGONS

First post, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm busy organizing my inventory. Working on expansion cards in particular, and would like a much better way of storing them than just in a pile in a box.

I have noticed a couple of instances of damage caused by storing them this way, mostly mild, but could make the difference between a working and DOA card.

Anyone want to share their storage solutions to give me ideas?

Attachment is example of mild but potentially catastrophic damage if I powered it up without spotting it first, on an ATI TV Wonder

Attachments

• 20200612_212153_2.jpg
    Filename
    20200612_212153_2.jpg
    File size
    430.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Bridged IC pin
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Filing cabinets... and of course anti-static bags.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how much anti-static bags actually matter for cards that are just lying there instead of being shipped/handled/etc. At least it'll prevent components from catching on one another.

Reply 5 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got organised a couple of years ago. Everything is now boxed up, except for hard drives and PSUs, as I still haven't found suitable boxes for those.

DSC-0097.jpg

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2020-06-13, 06:38:

I wonder how much anti-static bags actually matter for cards that are just lying there instead of being shipped/handled/etc. At least it'll prevent components from catching on one another.

I assume that environmental conditions can have an impact. E.g. if you are in a high humidity area. Having things wrapped in anti-static bags will protect it somewhat from this.

Reply 7 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't have to be pile, they can still be stored in a box but vertically in antistatic bags. This way you don't have the weigh of the pile, the cards don't touch and you can retrieve the last one without removing everything from the box

Reply 8 of 17, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just having a simple layer between the cards (as much as a simple antistatic bag) can prevent such damage, because parts will "slide" past each other instead of corners bumping into things bending legs like this for example.

cards below around 20cm I store upright, long cards I usually store on their longer side and I avoid stacking parts on top of each other.

Errius wrote on 2020-06-13, 08:11:

I finally got organised a couple of years ago. Everything is now boxed up, except for hard drives and PSUs, as I still haven't found suitable boxes for those.

that is super neat 😁

Reply 10 of 17, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine are vertically in antistatic bags and then inside boxes for each type (GPU, NIC, etc...) I cannot stand the thought of PCBs rubbing/scratching eachother. Too easy to wipe out the leg of an IC or take a trace out.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 11 of 17, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-06-13, 08:11:
I finally got organised a couple of years ago. Everything is now boxed up, except for hard drives and PSUs, as I still haven't f […]
Show full quote

DSC-0097.jpg

I like this idea; 100 cardboard boxes in the right size costs 22 euros, so I'm going for the same approach!

Reply 12 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The small brown boxes are C5 size and can hold a typical expansion card. The large brown ones are C4 and can hold all but the longest ISA cards. Longer/thicker cards, along with motherboards, go in the large white boxes. Slot 1 CPUs with heatsinks fit two apiece in the small white boxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size#C_series

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've started doing that myself since january vwuVFSfl.jpg
This works incredibely well 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14 of 17, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if only I could find boxes that can hold full size ATX boards x3

all the available cheap options are 350x250x50, and it's just barely not enough for the IO connectors on full size ATX boards... if only they were 350x260x50 😁

Reply 15 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
babtras wrote on 2020-06-13, 03:32:
I'm busy organizing my inventory. Working on expansion cards in particular, and would like a much better way of storing them tha […]
Show full quote

I'm busy organizing my inventory. Working on expansion cards in particular, and would like a much better way of storing them than just in a pile in a box.

I have noticed a couple of instances of damage caused by storing them this way, mostly mild, but could make the difference between a working and DOA card.

Anyone want to share their storage solutions to give me ideas?

Attachment is example of mild but potentially catastrophic damage if I powered it up without spotting it first, on an ATI TV Wonder

Here are some threads with some examples, including some of mine
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)
Storing your pc parts.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's some pics of how I've stored my stuff in this thread Re: post up pics of your "computing area"
My attic doesn't look exactly like this anymore, but in short I went 3D and got me some of those storage closets dunnotheirenglishname and lots of kiwi boxes 😁
I also got heaps of ESD bags and I would recommend you do the same. Try to prevent stacking PCBs too high or don't stack them at all if avoidable.
To a certain degree you can stack PCBs (like of course memory modules and small cards like older PCI VGA cards like Virges (individually packed in an ESD bag of course)).

Try to not store motherboards with their batteries installed or newer boards (like Pentium 4 and A64) with their often large heatsink mounted as over time this can warp the board. I use motherboard boxes to store them, they are just perfect for them. You can use sheets of cardboard to prevent PCBs from scratching into eachother when you have to move a box or something and this is very cheap as well.

I've also used old shoe boxes for stuff like Slot 1 CPUs, but these boxes themselves are not very stackable.

But your main issues will be to prevent scratching and warping of PCBs while also preventing damage by ESD and by accidents (like don't store a box full of CPUs on the edge of a table etc).

Once I'm done with my attic I can make some pics and share them to give some ideas. Particularly things like for instance CPUs can be a challenge to store properly and efficiently if you don't have stacks of CPU trays available.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got done organizing my stuff after moving into a new apartment. I have a stack of those plastic bin drawers in a closet which hold all my computer parts plus cables and things.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.