VOGONS

First post, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just reassembled an 8088 lunchbox PC after a failed attempt to get a Gotek installed (will make a later post about it) and the LCD was dead. Opened it back up, disconnected and reconnected the connectors and tried again. Now it works fine. Closed it all up and it's dead again. Tap it and it goes out. Tap it again and it comes back. The DIP / ribbon connector goes together with very little resistance so I suspect it is not making a good positive contact. Just to make sure it wasn't a broken cold solder joint on the connector I resoldered the connector but the problem persists.

The first thing that comes to mind is dielectric grease that you get for automotive use like trailer brake/light connectors. But I imagine there's something better for small electronics like this.

What is the best remedy?

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you clean the ribbon cable edge connector ? Try some Isopropyl alc on paper tower to clean the edge connector portion and try again. I would not use any type of grease as it could eat away the plastics.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun