User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've got this retro rig for W98:
- Pentium III 1GHz
- ASUS TUSL2-C
- 512MB SDRAM

Unfortunatelly PS/2 ports are not working and they won't (there is no voltage), so I have to use USB peripherals.
The problem is mouse and keyboard are working fine in Safe Mode and they aren't in Normal. Tried few things and nothing.

Can anyone help? Is there any solution?

Ryzen 5 5600X, Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI, HyperX 32GB DDR4, MSI GF RTX 2070 GAMING Z

Reply 1 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win 98 probably needs some drivers installed for these particular USB peripherals ?
Or at least some generic USB driver.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-u … age-driver.html

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1035&menustate=0

Win 98/ME USB issue

Reply 2 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for fast reply.
I already have USB drivers installed. It looks like keyboard doesn't have voltage in Normal Mode, because even leds are not working (NUM LOCK etc.)

Ryzen 5 5600X, Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI, HyperX 32GB DDR4, MSI GF RTX 2070 GAMING Z

Reply 5 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, didn't try different one as I only have Corsair K70 Low Profile. I suppose this keyboard won't work at all 😀
Will try other normal one as soon as possible.

It's not working on other USB port either.
About external - didn't think about it. Gonna try as I think I have USB bracket in other PC. Fortunatelly this motherboard has connector for it.

Only settings in BIOS are:
- USB Legacy Support which is set to Auto. Other options are Enabled (not working too) and Disabled
- USB Function which is set to Enabled

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For my K95 I had to enable BIOS mode, don't know if it's the same for the K70 or not but it should be in the manual. Usually this is needed before the OS loads the USB drivers though.

Enable BIOS mode
Hold F1 and padlock for 3 seconds. Scroll lock indicator should blink.

Due to my KVM (USB to clients) I have to use a dedicated mouse and keyboard for 9x and 2000 otherwise I can't use my mouse and keyboard. Works fine in BIOS and DOS though. Sometimes I can get it to work properly then it glitches out again. Still haven't figured it out. For the mouse it may or may not move and when it does move it barely does. For the keyboard it'll type slowly and then repeat characters dozens of times. heh. Likely a driver issue with the OS and the iogear KVM.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-06-14, 21:42. Edited 9 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:18:

For my K95 I had to enable BIOS mode, don't know if it's the same for the K70 or not but it should be in the manual. Usually this is used before the OS loads the USB drivers though.

Enable BIOS mode
Hold F1 and padlock for 3 seconds. Scroll lock indicator should blink.

Gonna try, thanks.

Reply 9 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:39:
Just for the record, I meant something like this :) https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CLOjqTlzL._AC_SY355_.jpg […]
Show full quote

Just for the record, I meant something like this 😀
51CLOjqTlzL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Yeah, I know. Just I don't have a card like this and first I'll try bracket 😀

Reply 10 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think safe vs. unsafe mode is because Windows goes through the BIOS to access mouse/keyboard in safe mode, or at least doesn't do whatever initialization of usb that would cause the bios to stop emulating the keyboard.
For PS/2 ports though, I have an actual PS/2 that had that problem because of a blown fuse and I was able to replace it. I thought newer motherboards are supposed to have self healing fuses.

Reply 11 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-15, 00:50:

I think safe vs. unsafe mode is because Windows goes through the BIOS to access mouse/keyboard in safe mode, or at least doesn't do whatever initialization of usb that would cause the bios to stop emulating the keyboard.
For PS/2 ports though, I have an actual PS/2 that had that problem because of a blown fuse and I was able to replace it. I thought newer motherboards are supposed to have self healing fuses.

Can you show what this fuse looks like?

Reply 12 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried bracket with USB ports (it's connected to motherboard connector) and even BIOS don't detect keyboard 😁
Have to buy PCI card then.

Reply 13 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sp33dyS wrote on 2020-06-15, 08:36:

Can you show what this fuse looks like?

On mine it was this one. Looks kind of like a resistor and was right next to the ps/2 ports. https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronic … tasheet.pdf.pdf

Reply 14 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-15, 17:18:

On mine it was this one. Looks kind of like a resistor and was right next to the ps/2 ports. https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronic … tasheet.pdf.pdf

Thank you 😀
So it's probably this fuse:
bVrAzUl.png
Maybe I'll try to change it.

Today I've found and already ordered CUSL2-C (100% working if believe seller 😉 ) for $15 (btw, prices of these motherboards are sick).

Reply 16 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, case is closed as I've received CUSL2-C and it's working fine 😀

About TUSL2-2 - PS/2 ports were working when you specifically touched them. Probably some cut soldering or something like that. I still don't know why USB ports weren't working, maybe same reason.

Reply 18 of 18, by sp33dyS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2020-06-19, 15:53:

Sounds like broken solder on the TUSL-2. Id be desoldering it and applying new solder.

I'll probably try it and if it works - just sell this motherboard. Or I just sell it without repairing 😀