VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ATX to AT converter that has leads that connect directly to an old style power button (toggle). However, the old AT PSU had 4 leads coming out of it and connecting to the power switch but the converter only has 2 leads.

I'm pretty sure, black goes on black but I'm unsure of the green lead on the converter. I assume it goes on what was the blue lead on the old AT PSU but I'd rather check to be sure.

Also a secondary question; as I understand it, old AT PSU's are (can be) a bit dangerous in that it actually has a live/hot wire going to the on/off switch. I assume that since this is ATX that such danger isn't present with this ATX/AT converter?

Any help much appreciated.

IMG_20200617_090833.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200617_090833.jpg
File size
800.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20190622_101312.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190622_101312.jpg
File size
496.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the black and green on the new connector, you just need to connect them together 100% of the time for the new ATX power supply to stay on. So, you'll want to connect them to the switch on any two contacts that make up a connection when switched to the on position.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To add to that, you can safely experiment with contacts. You'll either get a closed contact or you won't. No mains voltage here, no risk of shorting an active to neutral.

Reply 3 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hook the green wire from the converter to the terminal where the brown wire was before, black to black

no high voltage at all outside the ATX supply chassis itself even when using the converter