VOGONS

First post, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have a GA-6BXE v1.9B. Its original BIOS version was V3.0. I have updated it to F1 version successfully. I am trying to update to F2 or F3A but when running the flasher (FLASH840) with parameter /I (Identify BIOS files is correct or not) I am getting the error "Error 10 The BIOS tag is incorrect".

I don't want to run the flasher without parameter /I .

Anyone faced a similar issue?.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 x Gigabyte GA-6BXD both with the BIOS V.F4b 12/18/00 which I must have flashed at lest 19 years ago, I don't recall any problem, but given the elapsed time I can't be sure.

Looking at autoexec.bat it does flash851 6bxd.f4b /a, what does it contain on your system?

Reply 2 of 8, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-06-17, 14:38:

I have 2 x Gigabyte GA-6BXD both with the BIOS V.F4b 12/18/00 which I must have flashed at lest 19 years ago, I don't recall any problem, but given the elapsed time I can't be sure.

Looking at autoexec.bat it does flash851 6bxd.f4b /a, what does it contain on your system?

Autoexec.bat simply does Flash840 6BXE.Fxx but I have included the parameter "/I" that it's the option to verify the file. With version F1 everything was OK.

Reply 3 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe try different (older) versions of the flash program - looks as if F2 was originally bundled with AF786 & F3a with AF773

Filename
6BXE_F2_F3a.zip
File size
497.53 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
esbardu wrote on 2020-06-17, 20:33:

I have succesfully ugraded to F2 without issues. Thanks for the support.
I guess that going for F3A ,considering that it's a Beta, makes no sense.

That's good - how did you fix the upgrade issue as I see quite a few links online of people having some problems with FLASH840 and various Gigabyte boards.

F3a doesn't seem add much other than a fix to some AGP aperture issue.

6bxe bios.jpg
Filename
6bxe bios.jpg
File size
41.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-18, 17:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-06-17, 21:13:
That's good - how did you fix the upgrade issue as I see quite a few links online of people having some problems with FLASH840 a […]
Show full quote
esbardu wrote on 2020-06-17, 20:33:

I have succesfully ugraded to F2 without issues. Thanks for the support.
I guess that going for F3A ,considering that it's a Beta, makes no sense.

That's good - how did you fix the upgrade issue as I see quite a few links online of people having some problems with FLASH840 and various Gigabyte boards.

F3a doesn't seem add much other than a fix to some AGP aperture issue.

6bxe bios.jpg

I checked with the two tools. Found out that I could reflash before rebooting (it's been a while since I don't work with old HW) and then tried with FLASH840 without /I parameter.
It seems that "Error 10 The BIOS tag is incorrect" would mean that the BIOS version is not aligned with the motherboard but it flashed without errors.

I have tested F2, I have read that it supports 75GB HDD but unfortunately I wanted a 80gb without having to limit the size.

Last edited by esbardu on 2023-04-07, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is possible 75GB was the biggest disk at the time. When I pull the F2 through the HDD size patcher it says it already supports over 32GB and 64GB disks which as far as we at wimsbios found out, means it will run up to about 128GB disks, so even a 120GB would work.