VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So on my 486 I just got an at 8kb XT ide Rom, computer is already booting with on track. Is there any reason to add this time or should I put it something else. Only two machines I can think off off the top of my head are my 386sx 504mb limit no auto detect, and my Athlon slot a (limited to 64gb drives somehow).

Reply 1 of 4, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't 100% confirm it, but iv heard verious reports that OnTrack/DDO patches will prevent modern windows from being able to pickup the CF/SD card due stuff it does with hard drives.

Honestly. XT-IDE is a cleaner way to bypass LBA limits. Will let you use your CF cards without fuss too.

Reply 2 of 4, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ODD: almost always works, not much trial and error, free and no HW change required; some compatibility issues when moving drives

XT-IDE: clean from no-SW-required perspective, elegant, XTIDE+flash integrated options; can cost time and money to get working

I tend to favor XTIDE for older systems e.g. XT and overlays for 486/Pentium.

Reply 3 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use both. Both work fine.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer XTIDE Universal BIOS or the IDE Enhancer's BIOS, since they also work with non-WinDOS operating systems.
Anyway.. EZ-Drive or On-Track come in handy on laptops, since integrating XTIDE Universal BIOS into their BIOS chips is quite a challenge.

Edit: On some systems, mainly with ancient 286 BIOSes, the PC in question wouldn't boot (hang) if both a "modern" (ATA-2 or higher ?) HDD or CF card was installed and a fixed HDD type was selected.
In such a situation, DDOs are of no help, because they rely on the service routines of the System BIOS. Here, a separate HDD BIOS is about the only way to get HDDs working.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//