VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all,

I've cloned my drive using Ghost as the original one was making unpleasant sounds (lots of head resets, bearing whine, knocking around, typical failure signs) - I used a Compaq spare 5.1 Gb (the original is a 6 gb) and copied using Ghost. I put the spare 5.1 back in.

Now, it won't boot. After POST, The cursor just flashes, no action at all. Booting from a Win98 floppy will work, I can see the directory structure of the hard disk - everything is there. I changed the active partition to the hidden Compaq one (which does work, it can be accessed by pressing F10 - the setup sees the new drive as well) and it will boot directly into that. Changing active partition back to C: will bring back the flashing cursor issue. I tried SYS C: from the boot diskette, it transfers the system but the problem persists. I did fdisk /mbr and the only change was that it now says MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM. Sys C: from the boot drive does nothing to fix that.

Ultimately, I can see the stuff I need, I can back it up to a ZIP disk and just reinstall Windows 98 SE (it's mainly a retro gaming rig, nothing important is on it and I'm glad I got the Compaq utilities on the hard disk) but why is it behaving this way?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 1, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I tried again with Clonezilla, this time in a P4 system, and upon reinserting the drive into the Armada, it no longer picked up the 5.1 Gb drive (Compaq Spare 169609-001) at all. I used Ghost on the P4 to clone again, same error (no fixed disk present reported by fdisk) - so I stuck that back into the P4, killed the partitions manually, reallocated, and formatted with /s.

Won't boot on the P4. If you boot it from a floppy, you can see the drive's contents, there are no bad sectors, it will just not boot from it. I'll try to low level it, the same process fixed a non booting 170 Mb drive, maybe I'll have some luck.

I had one more 4 Gb hard disk lying around (Toshiba HDD2914 T - nice and quiet) with an old version of Linux on it, so I tried to use it as a destination drive.

After Ghosting it, first shot it booted into Windows 98 on the Armada.

Either way this is all temporary as I am getting my SD to 44 pin adapter soon and just wanted a backup of the Compaq diagnostic partition - that original 6 Gb drive is on its last leg, so much head resetting...

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!