VOGONS

First post, by BoraxMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long story short, I have a CGA monitor and graphics card which I would like to use. The CGA board fits into an 8bit ISA slot, but I do not have a working motherboard with an 8bit slot, only 16bit ones. (Actually, I do have an XT clone, but no 360K drives to boot it with).

Is it possible to connect it to a 16bit slot? Does an adapter exist? I tried a search and couldn't find one.

Reply 1 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should just fit without any issue. 16-bit ISA is just an extra smaller bit of slot behind the 8-bit slot. The fact that you're asking this question and mention adapters suggests that maybe you're dealing with something other than 8/16-bit ISA?

Reply 2 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some 8 bit ISA cards won't fit because they have an edge were the 16 bit part of the connector is supposed to be

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-18, 11:58:

Some 8 bit ISA cards won't fit because they have an edge were the 16 bit part of the connector is supposed to be

Which is exactly the problem with the IBM CGA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_ … ics_Adapter.jpg

The OP could use an ISA riser, perhaps, but those most often also use 16 bit slots. So you would have to desolder one of them and replace them with an 8 bit connector (which can still be bought, e.g. at Mouser). But then you could also modify your existing board and downgrade one of the slots...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an 8 bit backplane which you could connect with flat cables like in the thread I linked... good luck.

https://www.8bits4ever.net/product-page/isa-backplane

Reply 7 of 13, by BoraxMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-18, 11:58:

Yes, that is the problem with this card. It doesn't physically fit. I would have to downgrade one of the existing slots by replacing it. I'm in Australia, so parts like the ones in the other posts are harder to get without expensive shipping costs. I may be better off just buying an old motherboard.

"ISA riser" is the object I'm looking for. I figures something like that existed, but had no idea what it might be called.

Something like this might do it.
https://www.waste.org/~winkles/isaRiser.jpg

Reply 8 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always desolder and remove the 16bit portion of the edge connector.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-18, 12:55:

You might have to saw it off. Some 16bit edge connectors are one piece. Especially on boards that only have 16 bit slots.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 10 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote on 2020-06-18, 13:00:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-18, 12:55:

You might have to saw it off. Some 16bit edge connectors are one piece. Especially on boards that only have 16 bit slots.

True, some boards have the two edge connectors separate but most are joined and you may need to saw off the second slot after desoldering it, so that you can remove it. If you are careful and don't saw into the motherboard, the 8-bit slot would still work though. Of course, this is all academic - you shouldn't do it the lazy way I am describing here. Desolder the whole 16-bit connector and solder in an 8-bit connector. 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly. Like this one:

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/571-6-5530843-5

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 12 of 13, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the card doesn’t have chips in the region where it would contact you could just saw the “end” of the 16bit slot off and it would slip down inside

You would need to ensure nothing shorts out