VOGONS

First post, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first one is this JMark 486SX/DX V2 board. It is working but only with the Paradise VGA card, and refuses to work with any other VGA cards. When other VGA card was used, with a diagnostic card it showed the board is posting but stop at code 2C, which for AMI BIOS 1992 means "Processing before video ROM control is done. About to look for optional video ROM and give control."

The ROM chip was replaced many years ago and I'd forgotten why.

IMG_20200619_220458a.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200619_220458a.jpg
File size
726.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Works only with this Paradise card:

IMG_20200619_220614a.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200619_220614a.jpg
File size
331.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200619_223540a.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200619_223540a.jpg
File size
394.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The second one is a Sis471 MV4-V4S471 (486 Vesa) which won't boot. With the diagnostic card it showed post code F0. It has AMI WinBIOS 1993 but I couldn't seem to find the meaning of F0 from the internet.

IMG_20200619_220123a.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200619_220123a.jpg
File size
769.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Any idea what's the likely problems? I kinda suspect corrupted ROM issues but unfortunately I do not have any UV-EPROM/flash with the correct size at the moment.

Last edited by kalohimal on 2020-06-21, 09:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 1 of 7, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote on 2020-06-19, 14:38:

Any idea what's the likely problems? I kinda suspect corrupted ROM issues but unfortunately I do not have any UV-EPROM/flash with the correct size at the moment.

The first one:
Maybe there is a RAM- problem . So try to decrease amount of SIMMs and inspect wires near CMOS bat.
The second one:
Also inspect visually the board, the quality of soldering of big chips, double check jumper settings.
I would try to run system without RAM - will it beep error "no RAM" or will it stop at another POST code ?
The board has got ROM DIP32 socket, so I would try to understand where empty pins of ROM socket are connected. And then maybe a EEPROM 1Mbit chip (something like sst 29ee010 in DIP32 package) will work instead of UV 512kbit chip.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 7, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Roman555

Thanks! Your suggestions prompted me to reread the manual... For 2nd board, I noticed in the manual that they did not mentioned whether the 72 pins SIMMs are FPM or EDO. My suspicion is it is FPM, since if they don't mention EDO it usually means FPM. Then I checked the Sis 471 datasheet, and woohoo it says FPM. I took out the EDO SIMM and replaced it with the only FPM stick that I have... progress! Now the post code is D4 instead of F0, ha. According to this doc on AMI website, D4 means "Test base 512KB memory. Adjust policies and cache first 8MB. Set stack. " So maybe my one and only FPM stick is bad? Or maybe the cache? Hmm... will need to investigate some more... to be continued 😁

Btw if no RAM is installed it will do the "RAM missing" long beep, and stop at post code D3. I look beneath the ROM socket and indeed the empty pins have traces going towards the SIMM sockets, so I guess they are connected and mybe can use larger flash (can't see exactly where they go as they are covered by the sockets). The manual said there is a jumper for selecting UV-EPROM or flash, and can be "normal or bootblock" flash, but never mentioned the size.

Reply 4 of 7, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think some newer 486s do support EDO. I have a Lucky Star LS-486 board that can take it. But yeah you're right that the older ones will only take FPM.

Unfortunately I have an entire stack of EDO but very limited FPM 🤣

ls.jpg
Filename
ls.jpg
File size
294.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 7, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And #2 is working now, so happy 😁 Turns out to be jumpers problem (these 486s have tons of jumpers and are a real PITA). There are 2 jumpers to select the "UMB function". The manual said:
"We have three kinds of Sis 471 MB to support 3.45V CPU.
First: with UMB on board and voltage autodetect.
Second: without UMB on board (and then explain how to set the jumpers).
Third: with UMB on board but without voltage autodetect (and then explain how to set the jumpers)."
It never explains what is "UMB" and how to identify the different type of boards though. The jumpers were removed (for 3.45V), so I just added them back (for 5V), and then it works. I bought this board new in the 90s and used it as my daily system, so I'm sure the jumpers were correct back then. Somewhere along I must have stolen these jumpers for another board, but never wrote them down 😁

IMG_20200621_114802a.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200621_114802a.jpg
File size
300.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now time to scratch head on the first board.

Reply 6 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice job getting that second board fixed. For the first board double check the jumpers for the cache size are correctly set and you can also try removing the cache chips and seeing if it'll boot.

Reply 7 of 7, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote on 2020-06-21, 02:39:

I think some newer 486s do support EDO. I have a Lucky Star LS-486 board that can take it. But yeah you're right that the older ones will only take FPM.

Unfortunately I have an entire stack of EDO but very limited FPM 🤣

ls.jpg

Some things are so obvious that I don't remember to mention them 😀 LS-486 supports EDO only if it has the latest revision of the chipset. Also the latest UMC based boards support EDO. And if you have so many EDO sticks there's a trick (need soldering iron) to make some of them work on boards that supports only FPM.
I'm glad you've sorted out and the board is working now.
P.S. What about UMB - the manual maybe referres to Upper Memory Blocks
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_memory_area

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]