VOGONS

First post, by Juan-san

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for an ISA sound card to install into my secondary P-III build and happened to find a listing for this OEM card. Notice the slot connector at the bottom left.

placa-de-sonido-compaq-D_NQ_NP_9.jpg
Filename
File size
170.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The board I plan to use it with is a Soyo SY-6VBA133 (VIA VT82C693A), which comes with 16-bit ISA PnP slots. Any idea on what those extra pins are for?

Reply 1 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you trace it to see where it goes? It's probably an audio passthrough.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 5, by Juan-san

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are no visible traces going from the pins to any of the components in the card, as far as I can tell from the pictures in the listing.

placa-de-sonido-compaq-D_NQ_NP_752042-MLA30329818698_052019-F.jpg
Filename
File size
94.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Juan-san wrote on 2020-06-20, 06:44:

I'm looking for an ISA sound card to install into my secondary P-III build and happened to find a listing for this OEM card. Notice the slot connector at the bottom left.
The board I plan to use it with is a Soyo SY-6VBA133 (VIA VT82C693A), which comes with 16-bit ISA PnP slots. Any idea on what those extra pins are for?

Compaq computers often allowed the sound card to play back through the internal (PC-)speaker if no headphone or speaker was connected to the card, so these pins are most likely speaker out (only active if nothing is plugged into the sound card. It might also contain PC speaker input to the sound card, so that PC speaker sound is also played through external speakers and controllable by the mixer. If you leave the pins unconnected, the card will most likely work.

Reply 5 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Juan-san wrote on 2020-06-20, 07:22:

There are no visible traces going from the pins to any of the components in the card, as far as I can tell from the pictures in the listing.

This back side picture is of insufficient quality to tell anything about traces to the pins F1-F3 (extending the ISA naming scheme using A1-A31, B1-B31, C1-C18, D1-D18). The picture you showed in the original post has R40 clearly connected to pin E1, and R28 and R39 to vias (holes in the card to connect traces on different sides), so my guess is they are connected to F1 and F2. The numbering scheme R39/R40 indicates those two pins might be a stereo pair (speaker out), whereas R28 (with no similar-named resistor near to it) is a monaureal signal (PC speaker in?). The resistors inbetween the pins and the remainder of the card are a good indication for analog signals on those pins.