VOGONS

First post, by joeblowv1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I recently picked up a Compaq 433 locally. I'm totally in love with the thing, and have spent some time throwing some games on it, getting my soundblaster vibra 16 working (Need to find a daughterboard as i've learned there is no on-board midi support) installing windows, making floppy disks from a modern pc/the interwebz - etc, etc.

I do feel as though I would like to get the old gal some CD-Rom capabilities. Floppies are great and all, but obviously you hit a point in time where games and software transitioned to CD-Rom, yet for a few years still maintained a level of compatibility with Dos/Win 3.1/and a 486

I found some older threads here about the system, and have read of folks using I/O cards that have a external parallel port, that is EPP compatible. Using an external drive (for example, a micro solutions backpack drive) this nets speeds at AROUND 550kb/s which is fast enough to play games on - from what I've read. Again this is coming from some benchmarks that a user here did in an old thread I found.

My compaq came with an adaptec ava-1505/1515 with a bios chip? this is a ISA to SCSI "adapter" it has an external DB25 "mac style" connector on the back. From my research it is advertising much faster speeds then a parallel port cd rom drive (10mb/s "burst" speeds). With that said, a majority of the scsi cd rom drives I see that are available on a quick ebay search are internal drives. There are however small/portable Panasonic drives that are relatively available, have 8x speeds, have a SCSI port, and can even be run off batteries.

SO, with all of that said. The TL;DR is as follows. Whats better/easier to use/makes the most sense out of the following 3x options for an external cd rom drive with a 486 and 20mb of ram -

1.) ISA I/O SCSI card, and an external scsi cd rom drive
2.)ISA I/O SCSI card, (if this is even an option) a scsi to parallel cable and a external parallel port cd rom drive
3.)ISA I/O parallel port card (EPP supported) and an external parallel port cd rom drive.

If there is another option I've missed - please let me know!

I'm somewhat new to the old computer game, especially as far as setting up all the hardware. Any and all help is VASTLY appreciated friends. Thanks so much!

Reply 1 of 18, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Parallel port CDROMs are quite rare and slow.
External SCSI port CDROMs will have the same speed as internal ones.

However, the AVA 1505/1515 does not support DMA transfers.
If your computer has PCI slots, add an Adaptec 2940.
If not, you'd better use an Adaptec 1542C.

Reply 2 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2020-06-20, 22:58:
Parallel port CDROMs are quite rare and slow. External SCSI port CDROMs will have the same speed as internal ones. […]
Show full quote

Parallel port CDROMs are quite rare and slow.
External SCSI port CDROMs will have the same speed as internal ones.

However, the AVA 1505/1515 does not support DMA transfers.
If your computer has PCI slots, add an Adaptec 2940.
If not, you'd better use an Adaptec 1542C.

Instead of an Adaptec 2940 variant, you might want to consider an Adaptec 2930 variant, they are cheaper and should work just as well .

Reply 3 of 18, by joeblowv1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

16 bit isa cards only. I guess the DMA transfer will be necessary to not bog down the machine by not relying on the cpu?

I see some parallel port cd rom drives that are cheap enough on the lovely ebay. but again have heard the speed is not great. Glad to know scsi is the way to go, but sad to hear that the card I have in the PC is useless for what I want to do with it!

Reply 5 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IDE CD/DVD drives are plentiful and cheap compared to SCSI ones. Why not get an IDE drive ? You probably already have an IDE hard drive on a cable, so you could just connect an IDE CDROM as a slave .

Reply 6 of 18, by joeblowv1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-21, 00:56:

IDE CD/DVD drives are plentiful and cheap compared to SCSI ones. Why not get an IDE drive ? You probably already have an IDE hard drive on a cable, so you could just connect an IDE CDROM as a slave .

This is a vintage "all in one" so to do that I'd have to have extra cables that are supposed to be. "internal" hanging out of the case. There is no good way to add any additional drive to this computer.

I have other PC's with cd rom drives. But i'd like to "complete" this rig. It only has two ISA slots, I've got one reserved for a sound card and as far as "period correct stuff" an extra port to interface with an external drive would be right on the money.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-21, 00:38:

You can always buy and use the external scsi drive while you look for a new scsi controller

Thats not a bad idea at all. I've been hunting for a good cheap one that does atleast 8x speeds. Wondering at what point the bus becomes the limiting factor vs the cd rom drive speed.

Reply 7 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
joeblowv1 wrote on 2020-06-21, 01:56:
This is a vintage "all in one" so to do that I'd have to have extra cables that are supposed to be. "internal" hanging out of th […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-06-21, 00:56:

This is a vintage "all in one" so to do that I'd have to have extra cables that are supposed to be. "internal" hanging out of the case. There is no good way to add any additional drive to this computer.

I have other PC's with cd rom drives. But i'd like to "complete" this rig. It only has two ISA slots, I've got one reserved for a sound card and as far as "period correct stuff" an extra port to interface with an external drive would be right on the money.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-21, 00:38:

You can always buy and use the external scsi drive while you look for a new scsi controller

Thats not a bad idea at all. I've been hunting for a good cheap one that does atleast 8x speeds. Wondering at what point the bus becomes the limiting factor vs the cd rom drive speed.

Good point about the aesthetic aspect, I had not realised therr were no drive bays . SCSI it is then .

Fun fact: some older non PC computers actually used ribbon-like cables externally for connecting peripherals . I am not trying to change your mind, just bringing it up as a curiosity .

Reply 8 of 18, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would go for SCSI, though i always hated the external cd drives that looked like they were shoved into a random external SCSI enclosure.

There were a few that looked the part without ruining the looks of it, like the Toshiba 4101S or some HP and Philips models

Toshiba XM4101S

442997818b4466217f243bce652e4870.jpg
Filename
File size
152.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
unnamed.jpg
Filename
unnamed.jpg
File size
32.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

HP - Agilent - Keysight C2943A

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
98.32 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 9 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Master_Shifu wrote on 2020-06-21, 04:50:
I would go for SCSI, though i always hated the external cd drives that looked like they were shoved into a random external SCSI […]
Show full quote

I would go for SCSI, though i always hated the external cd drives that looked like they were shoved into a random external SCSI enclosure.

There were a few that looked the part without ruining the looks of it, like the Toshiba 4101S or some HP and Philips models

Toshiba XM4101S

If you like caddies. Personally, I am not a fan .

Yamaha made some good looking external SCSI CD-R drives, IMHO, and a couple of ugly ones too .

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/yamaha … cd-rw-305401956
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-CRW-F1ZSX-44x24x … r/dp/B071LPBCCJ

EDIT: The last HP one looks like it was spawned through an unholy union between an early inkjet printer and an egg slicer .

Reply 10 of 18, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-21, 04:57:

EDIT: The last HP one looks like it was spawned through an unholy union between an early inkjet printer and an egg slicer .

The later XM4101S was a regular tray design like in the second picture, had one that was a perfect match to a macintosh SE/30. But they are harder to find. Found mine just in a lucky search on eBay for an external SCSI cd drive. Only had Toshiba External SCSI Drive in it. no model numbers or anything. the good part was it was only 40 euro including 25 euro shipping with all the bits and pieces!
NEC also made a few very nice external ones, though you would easily mistake them for early Discmans instead of cd drives.

Reply 11 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a 32 speed parallel port BackPack cddrive in my 286. It works just fine and a piece of piss to setup as is the parallel port LS120 drive daisy chained to it... No need for caddys and if the cddrive dies I can easily replace it. Can use both drives at the same time or use them individually. In fact iirc I can have up to 5 devices daisy chained this way with no need for device no.s to be set or terminators.

My external cdrom drive cost $nz5 plus postage with no cable or psu. Had some parallel port flat bad scanners so used the cable from one and a suitable psu from my stash. As you can see from the pic the cables are not visible at all.

Attachments

• DSC_0000075.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000075.jpg
    File size
    231 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 18, by joeblowv1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, in the interest of not taking up a massive amount of space. Does anyone have any feedback on those smaller "discman" style scsi drives? I see a handful of panasonic ones on ebay at around 8x speeds, wondering if they would fit the bill as they're the most affordable

I do love the hp drive because of how purely ugly it is.

Reply 13 of 18, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like the Panasonic kxl-dxxx series?
If you buy a working one it should work without issues, an untested one though, you're taking a chance to end up with a dead one.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 15 of 18, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really the most beautiful solution, but I once attached an externally placed internal IDE drive to my IBM model 30-286:

Sound card with onboard IDE. Attached the IDE ribbon cable to it and got it out thru a slot cover youth openings.
Power came from some ISA breadboard card where the power cable was attached (soldered) to the right contacts on the ISA edge. It just worked for what I wanted to do, maybe it works for you too 😀
When not used you can store the CDROM drive away from the machine to make it look good again.

Eventually detached it to fit the CDROM and sound card in another machine.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 16 of 18, by joeblowv1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-06-21, 16:46:

Like the Panasonic kxl-dxxx series?
If you buy a working one it should work without issues, an untested one though, you're taking a chance to end up with a dead one.

Good to know, sounds like they're a bit flakey?

Great info in here though people! Thanks again

Reply 17 of 18, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Panasonic/Matsushita is a good brand but those drives are old.
My point is that it's probably better to get a 5.25" enclosure for scsi (or parallel) drives so you can easily change the drive if it shows signs of failing or if it can't read cd-r or cd-rw for example.
Even if generic enclosures are larger than the portable discman style drives, atleast you can use them longer.
Or you could go pcmcia but it has downsides like the larger ram usage...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 18 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just my 2¢
Network is much more useful then CD drive on a 486.
You can copy the files over or even share a CD drive from another PC to install things once windows is installed.
Early dos game's only really want a CD for CD audio, something you may not get with an external drive.

CD drive can be useful, but I'd either go with onboard SCSI or Parallel and keep that 2nd ISA slot for a network card