VOGONS

First post, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I finally found a complete ISA Bus Expansion set to add some extra ISA ports through an external backplane.

Sadly, this stuff is so old, that even Advantech itself couldn't help me out in any way, there is nothing left in their archives concerning drivers, manuals, or any other form of documentation... If even the manufacturer says something like that you know you have good stuff in hands right? 😀

Anyway, the basic function is pretty straight forward. a lot like the IBM 5161 ISA bus Expansion cards. Though the Advantech cards are 16 bit, and IBM was 8.

of course I've tried googling, but after days of grinding every possible combo, all I could find was the mention of these cards used in a test setup in 2 research papers about early FPGA development.
The cards are from 1994 ish, consisting of 1 card labeled PCX-795M Expansion Card Rev (A2) PC- SIDE, and the other labeled PCX-795S Expansion Card Rev (A2) EXP. SIDE.
They are connected with a 3 row 62 pin cable (could be 68, didn't count exactly)

(Switch description under pictures)

PCX-795M Back.jpg
Filename
PCX-795M Back.jpg
File size
362.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PCX-795M Front.jpg
Filename
PCX-795M Front.jpg
File size
470.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The "Master" card as I will call it, has several extra dip switches, but I can only guess about their functions. Maybe you guys can help me clarify them a little better?

There are 4 banks of dip switches, from left to right:
Memory Bank Select (SW2)
Position 1-10 shows A0 to E8 and position s11 shows 100 on the silkscreen

I/O Bank Select (SW3)
1-7 shows 200 to 380 and position 8 shows 3C0 on the silkscreen

DMA Select (SW4)
Position 1-6 shows 1-2-3-5-6-7 on the Silkscreen

Wait State (SW5)
Position 1-6 shows 1-2-4-8-16-32 on the Silkscreen

Any suggestions? if anybody has a snippet of documentation, software, driver, or any other info I would be very happy to know! 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that the set that was listed on ebay for the longest time? wiredforservice was the seller.

In any case, I wouldn't think that there would need to be any drivers.

Maybe the jumpers are for being able to access different expansion boxes.... say you have the main system with a bunch of these master cards installed and then you have multiple expansion systems and the expansion systems have the same types of cards installed but used for different sets of equipment. And easy way to differentiate between what equipment you want to access would be to send the commands to different addresses.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yup, that's the one. They work without drivers, there was supposed to be some sort of diagnostic disk with some utility's to solve conflicts, etc. I know the wait states are required if you use certain cards in the external chassis. and I can guess the DMA as well, but the memory and IO bank are a mystery to me. I'm waiting for the cable to arrive to figure out the rest. got an external case and 6 slot backplane ready to go.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think these cards are even older than you think. Here is an ad for them from 1991:
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Ea … R-Page-0039.pdf

Filename
Wireless-World-1991-01-OCR-Page-0039.zip
File size
151.58 KiB
Downloads
32 downloads
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-21, 00:34:

I think these cards are even older than you think. Here is an ad for them from 1991:
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Ea … R-Page-0039.pdf
Wireless-World-1991-01-OCR-Page-0039.zip

Thanks! didn't find this one yet, I had a feeling they were older, there were some hints that Advantech was not the original creator since the card was mentioned in the footnotes with 2 different company names. Advantech acquired another company around that time and carried over the products to their catalog. probably the reason why they didn't have any info on it anymore.

The PC-LABDAS Software mentioned in the section above was also made by Advantech together with the PCLS cards and is dated somewhere in 1989.

The closest thing I could find is a card that looks similar in functions to the PCX-795 but was/is sold by ACCES:
https://accesio.com/?p=/isa/ptrc_at.html