VOGONS

First post, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just ordered a socket 7 Intel motherboard with an onboard Crystal "CS4232-KQ EP" chip. The board is AT and has no other io ports other than keyboard. How exactly can I make use of that chip? Do I install a secondary sound card and use the internal inputs on that card, or what? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 23, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is probably a header somewhere on the motherboard that you would use to connect the outputs to. It would help if you could share the motherboard name and/or a good picture.

Reply 2 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kegepet wrote on 2020-06-22, 08:07:

I just ordered a socket 7 Intel motherboard with an onboard Crystal "CS4232-KQ EP" chip. The board is AT and has no other io ports other than keyboard. How exactly can I make use of that chip? Do I install a secondary sound card and use the internal inputs on that card, or what? Thanks in advance.

The board must have some kind of a breakout bracket with a proprietary (most likely ribbon) connector. Motherboard brand and model would help here. If the breakout is lost, you may have to build one yourself. Not impossible, could be a fun project.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 23, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know the model, but I'm pretty sure it's an intel board. It just has that look. You can see, in the pics, some stickers with codes, but I tried googling them and had no luck. In the second picture, you can see the chip near the pci slots toward the edge of the board.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    539.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    File size
    531.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    365.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by kegepet on 2020-06-22, 09:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like J7M1 is the breakout header. I hope you can find/build the breakout, as the board also has a Yamaha OPL3 on board and CS4232+OPL3 is possibly the BEST DOS sound option there is.

Reply 5 of 23, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, I didn't even notice that opl3 there. Would this breakout header have been included with the board? What would be involved in making one? Would anyone be able to show me a picture of what it looks like?

Reply 6 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would normally come with the board, yes. For more info on the board do a search for Intel 643372-203. It seems to be called Intel Advanced/AS (Atlantis).

A working archive of its support stuff on Intel servers is: https://web.archive.org/web/20000815054617/ht … top/advancedas/

You can verify that the female connector I pointed out is indeed the Audio out: https://web.archive.org/web/20000815074818/ht … edas/as_con.htm

Unfortunately I can not locate the technical product specification documents you would need to find the pinout.

Reply 10 of 23, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is how the original header looks like (found picture - not mine, sorry for quality).

There is a bunch of passive components (capacitors, etc.). I believe the analog audio should still work without them but it could be a bit noisier:

Attachments

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 11 of 23, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can only find one of those for sale on ebay right now and it comes with the motherboard. Needless to say, the guy is asking too much. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those, since I think making one is not going to be practical. Looks a bit complicated. Maybe if I'm desperate enough, I'll try it, but I don't have the values for any of those components, and, of course, I would have to use the through-hole type. Until then, I'll be using my ES1869 audiodrive. Shame.

Reply 12 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kegepet wrote on 2020-06-22, 14:35:

I can only find one of those for sale on ebay right now and it comes with the motherboard. Needless to say, the guy is asking too much. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those, since I think making one is not going to be practical. Looks a bit complicated. Maybe if I'm desperate enough, I'll try it, but I don't have the values for any of those components, and, of course, I would have to use the through-hole type. Until then, I'll be using my ES1869 audiodrive. Shame.

Make sure there is a way to disable the onboard sound or you may have resource conflicts.

Reply 13 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@kegepet. I think I may have at least one of those breakout / header boards. I know I don't have the motherboard it goes to.

When/if I run across it, you can have it for the price of shipping.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 23, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Advanced/EV board also uses the same riser. It should be pretty easy to build a replacement, especially if you only need the audio out.

The audio from the onboard sound chip is probably also routed to the PC speaker if there are no speakers plugged in at the back, that's how it is with the Advanced/EV.

Reply 16 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If anyone has any idea about the filtering caps on that board, building a Line-Out breakout cable would be incredibly easy with that pinout.

Reply 17 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found it. Here are a few pics that should help with the values of the resistors. Capacitor values are probably not that critical. Using my google drive since this site now kills critical picture quality.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/156Ucp … 4Ob?usp=sharing

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
190.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200622_161427.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200622_161427.jpg