VOGONS

First post, by Remonter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard with 50 Mhz frequency generator, so i think there must be a 386dx-25 cpu. Also i can`t identify chipset - Solutions 88C831-88C833??

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you get a closer shot of the printed numbers between the 4th and 5th ISA slots? It looks like SN386-8013 but I'm not sure... it could be the model number

Attachments

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160

Reply 2 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What more do you need to know about the chipset? You have the name and the model number. There were dozens of chipset manufacturers in the early 90s, and you just got lucky and found a board with a relatively obscure one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 11, by Remonter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No info about this model in Internet.
More important for me, to find datasheet or similar motherboard scheme with this chipset. And again, no info about chipset "Solutions" in Internet!

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've heard of "solutions" before, but you might have to search on usenet to find references to it.

Why do you need the datasheet? Do you plan to mod the board? For the majority of 386 chipsets out there, the datasheets are simply MIA. Even for some of the well known 386 and 486 chipsets we don't have datasheets yet.

Reply 5 of 11, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Board is this one. Chipsets are unknown, if you could get it started up, the BIOS string might give a clue. But unfortunately there is one ROM chip missing (this board needs odd/even ROM chips) so getting a replacement would be difficult since the chipsets are unknown, unless you could find someone with the same board.

Edit: xjas had a board with solutions chipsets too, but his BIOS is a single chip. Perhaps can get it from him and split it into odd/even.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 6 of 11, by Remonter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-23, 02:26:

Why do you need the datasheet? Do you plan to mod the board?

I'm going to fix it. My board is not working now.
All voltages are good, reset at cpu is "low" , 50 MHz quartz generator works well. This frequency came into chip 88c831, but frequency to cpu jump between 20-40 MHz (i havn't oscillograph, so used frequency meter), and it looks like chip 831 trying to start, but goes to reset and repeat.

Reply 7 of 11, by Remonter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2020-06-23, 02:46:

Board is this one.

Very similar, but no exactly my board. Some jumpers located in another places. And on my board exist jumper JP2, that connect D13 pin of cpu to gnd. D13 in 386 datasheet marked as "NA#".

Now i have both original ROM chips. Photo made some earler.

Reply 8 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just because a board has two ROM sockets doesn't necessarily mean it must use both. I have seen boards that can take either a single 512kbit ROM or two 256kbit ROMS in even/odd configuration by setting a jumper.

Reply 11 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately code 1336 is unknown according to here http://www.idhw.com/textual/guide/inst_mobo_ami_manu.html

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative