VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to fire up my Zenith 100 after many years of storage.
It boots to this error code.
“ Error: Invalid \ No keyboard code received ”.
I hear 4 faint beeps.

I do not have the original keyboard. I think it is an IBM XT clone. It has an AMD 8088 CPU.
How can I get this to boot ?

Manual:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Zenit … ce%20Manual.pdf

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-06-22, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
+++ ERROR: Invalid/No keyboard code received! +++ Normally this message is caused by the keyboard being unplugged. If the keyboa […]
Show full quote

+++ ERROR: Invalid/No keyboard code received! +++
Normally this message is caused by the keyboard being unplugged. If the
keyboard is plugged in, the problem may be in the keyboard or keyboard
cable. Replace the keyboard and/or keyboard cable.

I think I need a compatible XT keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive keyboard ?

Reply 2 of 8, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never tried one before, but there are adapters on Ebay that let you use an AT keyboard on an XT machine. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a specific listing, but do a quick search for "pc/at pc/xt adapter" on Ebay.

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160

Reply 3 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 21:16:
+++ ERROR: Invalid/No keyboard code received! +++ Normally this message is caused by the keyboard being unplugged. If the keyboa […]
Show full quote

+++ ERROR: Invalid/No keyboard code received! +++
Normally this message is caused by the keyboard being unplugged. If the
keyboard is plugged in, the problem may be in the keyboard or keyboard
cable. Replace the keyboard and/or keyboard cable.

I think I need a compatible XT keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive keyboard ?

Yes you need a XT keyboard or one of the rare XT/AT (Like IBM model M, Hewitt Rand SK-2000R, Nan Tan 6252EA, etc) that either auto switch AT and XT or have a switch to select XT or AT. I know of no cheap ones and do not know how the adapters would work since the KB signals and KB controller for XT is different than AT. Those that switch have a dual controller built into the KB.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-06-22, 23:01:

Yes you need a XT keyboard or one of the rare XT/AT (Like IBM model M, Hewitt Rand SK-2000R, Nan Tan 6252EA, etc) that either auto switch AT and XT or have a switch to select XT or AT. I know of no cheap ones and do not know how the adapters would work since the KB signals and KB controller for XT is different than AT. Those that switch have a dual controller built into the KB.

The adapters on ebay I found using the search terms AT XT keybaord adapter or something like that contain an 8-pin PIC microcontroller. It is believable that this microcontroller does protocol conversion. A +5V supply for the processor is readily available on the XT keyboard connector.

Reply 5 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can still find XT/AT switchable keyboards for cheap -- they come up every once in a while. I just set an Ebay search alert a few months back, and within ~30 days or so, I snagged a SIIG Suntouch 101 for around $30 -- it has Alps switches at that.

I also built an AT/PS2-->XT converter for about $10. I used a promo code on JLCPCB to get 5 circuit boards for $2 shipped.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-23, 01:22:

You can still find XT/AT switchable keyboards for cheap -- they come up every once in a while. I just set an Ebay search alert a few months back, and within ~30 days or so, I snagged a SIIG Suntouch 101 for around $30 -- it has Alps switches at that.

I also built an AT/PS2-->XT converter for about $10. I used a promo code on JLCPCB to get 5 circuit boards for $2 shipped.

Great ! I have found a few XT/AT the same way ! Not a fan of converters but good to know.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have the link to the kit ?

Reply 8 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-23, 03:04:

Do you have the link to the kit ?

I didn't order a kit, just the PCB that I had printed. I ordered the components from Digikey or salvaged them from scrap parts I had.

Thread discussing the converter:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?264 … board-converter

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals