VOGONS

First post, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 which upon pushing the power button sometimes does not POST.
Basically there is no video and no beeps. Power LED is on though and CPU fan running and also every second there is an endlessly repeating blinking LED from CD-ROM drive & NIC.
At that moment the computer can't be turned off by holding the power button for 5 sec. I noticed if I hold Reset + Power for 5 sec sometimes it turns off.
The workaround for the issue is pulling the power cable and plugging it back in. The computer then starts and usually POSTs.

The configuration:
Dell 88865 Optiplex GX1 motherboard
Pentium II 350 Mhz Slot 1 CPU
64 MB SDRAM
Build in ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP
Dell HP 145-SNH Power Supply
40 GB IDE HD, IDE CD-ROM, Floppy
ISA Riser board

Things I've tried:
- changed all BIOS settings
- upgraded BIOS to A10
- tried different RAM sticks
- swapped the PSU
- Removed all additional things like HD, CD-ROM, Floppy, ISA riser board, extra VRAM module.
- When I remove the CPU or memory I get beeping

I'm afraid the motherboard might be broken. Could it perhaps be related to the caps (they are visually in good shape/flat) ?
I think I did in the past but could try swapping the CMOS battery however do not think it might be related as the computer is keeping the BIOS settings without power.

A new Slot 1 CPU will arrive this week so I can test with another CPU but I doubt the issue is the CPU.

I added 2 photos.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 20200623_220209.jpg
    Filename
    20200623_220209.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MB
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20200623_220155.jpg
    Filename
    20200623_220155.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MB
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you can get a post card, it could help to determine what is the issue. It sounds similar to the cold boot problem I had with a Socket 7 motherboard. Based on your description, I don't think the problem is with capacitors, most likely it has to do with the chipset.

One thing you could do is to clean well the motherboard from any dust particles, maybe even apply a good wash (but remember to dry it well, blow some compressed air around BGA chips). You could also check the voltages for CPU/RAM/etc to make sure these are within acceptable tolerances. However, the BGA chips (like Intel chip that can be seen from the photo), especially when lead-free soldered would be the weakest part of the motherboard as the balls may eventually lose connection due to stresses and aging. When that happens, your best bet would be (unless you want to torture the motherboard by heating these chips or visit repair shop for reballing/replacement) to replace the whole motherboard, or maybe even the whole PC.

Reply 2 of 3, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dries_86 wrote on 2020-06-23, 20:20:

Basically there is no video and no beeps. Power LED is on though and CPU fan running and also every second there is an endlessly repeating blinking LED from CD-ROM drive & NIC.

Does sound like no CPU condition.

On the other hand, why replugging it would help I don't know. That sounds more like capacitors. I had a laptop like that, I could only get it to boot the moment the plug hit the outlet, and eventually that stopped working.

But yeah, no idea. =j

Reply 3 of 3, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could be a cap issue. I have an Asus P4S800 board that hangs when I try to power it up, and I can't try again unless I disconnect the power and reconnect it. I'm not looking forward to recapping it, because my motivation has been bottomed out for a long, long time.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.