VOGONS

First post, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a bit of trouble with booting up the system. I can hear the HDD running, CPU fan is spinning as usual, there are no beeps & no display. Since I don't have a desktop case yet, it's currently running on testbench. And I've also noticed that it turns on whenever I flick the switch on the PSU (without having to press the power switch).
The specs are:
Gigabyte GA-7ZX rev. 5.00
AMD Duron 1300
2x 128 MB SDRAM
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Sound Blaster Pro 2 ISA
150Gb HDD WD
Trust PowerMaster 420 W PSU

Reply 3 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guess: Bad cap, bad PSU or BIOS issue. Have you tried a different PSU? I would strip down to basics and use a good PCI vid card and good PSU that I know work with good (that Trust Powermaster only had a 2 year warranty, where many good PSU back then had 5+)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-24, 01:56:

Guess: Bad cap, bad PSU or BIOS issue. Have you tried a different PSU? I would strip down to basics and use a good PCI vid card and good PSU that I know work with good (that Trust Powermaster only had a 2 year warranty, where many good PSU back then had 5+)

Both mainboards are refurbished & the same models but with different rev. numbers (1.01 & 5.00) and the results are the same. At first I thought there was an incompatibility issue with the CPU, but according to support list it should be supported.

Reply 6 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alienmannequin wrote on 2020-06-23, 23:01:

If the board has a built-in speaker, do you get beeps when you remove the RAM? Do you have a spare PSU to try? Perhaps the board needs a discharge & new battery.

There aren't any beeps coming out whatsoever, regardless if I remove graphics card, RAM,... . Can't even enter BIOS 'cause there's no display + mouse & keyboard aren't working or detected, regardless if it's on USB or PS2. At first I thought there was some incompatibility with the testbench, but I think I should at least get a display running or something....

Reply 7 of 14, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remove everything (even the testbench) except PSU, mainboard, CPU and speaker. You should get some beeps. If possible, try using another CPU and see if the issue persists. I've had early Durons die on me without corner damage.

A POST card would be appropiate in these situations.

Reply 8 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still waiting for POST cards to arrive, but I'm rulling out everything except motherboard & CPU; so with that in mind, what motherboard would be recommended? Let's say for a CPU around 1.00 - 1.40 GHz, with AGP 2x slot (Voodoo 3 3000) & ISA slot (SB Pro 2). I would prefer AMD, but I could do with INTEL.

Reply 10 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Post good quality pictures of the board.
Scrappers and postal workers throw these things around all the time so most of them are scratched up and have broken traces.

Reply 11 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are the screenshots of both motherboards; same models, different rev. numbers. The one with CPU & RAM installed is rev. 5.0, the other one is rev. 1.01.

Attachments

• rev. 5.0.jpg
    Filename
    rev. 5.0.jpg
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • rev. 1.01.jpg
    Filename
    rev. 1.01.jpg
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got my POST card and here are the results (and they're the same on both motherboards).

Attachments

Reply 13 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still no success. Tested 3 processors (Duron 950, Duron 1.2 & Duron 1.3) on 4 diff. motherboards (GA-7ZX (rev. 1.01) , GA-7ZX (rev. 5.00) & 2x GA-7IXE4 (rev. 1.00)), with 2x 128 or 2x 256 SDRAM still no POST, perhaps just once in approx. 60 boot ups & that's it. Used a bit older PSU as provided in the picture & a bit newer one from Chieftec (750w), still the same. I figured if there would be anything wrong with graphics card (3dfx voodoo3 3000) or even CPU or something, I'd get some damn beep from the speaker, but nothing; monitor just keeps blinking.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_230454.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200531_230454.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 14, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested with a motherboard that I borrowed; graphics card, sound card, RAM & PSU work fine. Guess it's now down to CPU & motherboard. Someone has mentioned that I have to check about multiplyer & fsb speed settings, but I can't find any jumpers, only FSB switch which is already set to 100 MHz as listed for those Durons 😳