VOGONS

First post, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this IDE+Floppy card off ebay and it's dead. Carefully inspected the traces and came across this. Weird damage. Was this a botched repair you think?

IMG-2712.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This doesn't look like an attempted repair, but to scratching damage. I had something similar happen to my Adaptec 1542B, when I put it into the same antistatic bag as a more modern graphics card. I placed those cards solder-side to solder-side, which usually turns out well, but in this case, the screws used to mount the fan on the graphics card had sharp edges and scratched some PCB traces on the controller. The result looked very much like in your picture. The card has already been repaired.

It looks like you have just a single torn trace. Scratch the solder resist on both sides of the damage, solder strand of copper wire over the gap and isolate/fixate it, for example with nail polish. Also use it to isolate the two traces where the solder resist has been scratched, but the traces are still OK. If you can't do it yourself, find someone who can. It looks like damage that is easy to fix for a trained person.

Reply 5 of 11, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a pretty basic card. Just IDE + Floppy.

I think the crystal might be dead that's why it's missing in this photo. I get 0Hz on my multimeter when I test it. Whereas I get a reading when I test the mobo oscillator. (Powered up of course)

IMG-2716.jpg

IMG-2717.jpg

I already tested all the resistors and D1.

Reply 11 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That says lot to make sure you have a power supply with -5V this usually will solve the mystery of not working stuff.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.