VOGONS

First post, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been gathering info on upgrading Pentium 3 CPUs (mostly from this forum) and have attempted to summarize it in number of tables.

Questions:
1. Have I omitted CPU designs, for example, I read somewhere there's an FC-PGA Mendocino Celerons 550.
2. How important is BIOS support for Coppermine / Tualatin. From what I can gather, boards don't really need to support these chips, they need to not be actively blocking them. Otherwise, support just means the correct name/specs are shown.
3. Does the 1133MHz Coppermine actually exist in the wild
4. Do Slot 1 -> FC-PGA (not PGA2) adapters with a VRM exist?
5. What is the significance of a voltage clamp chip on a slocket. Is this for Coppermine-T chips?
6. Is it true that a Tualatin-compatible socket (or slocket) will no longer support PPGA chips?

Attachments

• p3-slot1.PNG
    Filename
    p3-slot1.PNG
    File size
    50.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • p3-fcpga.PNG
    Filename
    p3-fcpga.PNG
    File size
    30.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P3-CPU.PNG
    Filename
    P3-CPU.PNG
    File size
    31.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:19:

2. How important is BIOS support for Coppermine / Tualatin. From what I can gather, boards don't really need to support these chips, they need to not be actively blocking them. Otherwise, support just means the correct name/specs are shown.

If I recall correctly, there might be differences in L2 cache initialization between Pentium III cores. I haven't encountered a problem personally, but there might be edge cases. (Would need to do research on this one, though.) "Support" also usually includes the question of whether or not the applicable microcode updates are included in the BIOS image.

3. Does the 1133MHz Coppermine actually exist in the wild

The Slot 1 variant in cC0 stepping was recalled, but S370 variants in cD0 stepping do exist.

6. Is it true that a Tualatin-compatible socket (or slocket) will no longer support PPGA chips?

That might depend on the way the modification is done. I've been using cD0 stepping Coppermine-Ts on a Lin-Lin adapter and a Upgradeware Slot-T without issues. I haven't checked whether this also works for non-"T" Coppermines.

Edit: One additional thought that is sometimes overlooked: Generally, the newer the core stepping, the more its power current draw increases. So, even if a certain processor "runs" on a given mainboard, the on-board VRM might be running out of spec, depending on what CPUs the mainboard designer laid it out for.

Last edited by DenizOezmen on 2020-06-24, 17:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DenizOezmen wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:45:

That might depend on the way the modification is done. I've been using cD0 stepping Coppermine-Ts on a Lin-Lin adapter and a Upgradeware Slot-T without issues. I haven't checked whether this also works for non-"T" Coppermines.

Thanks for your reply! With that statement, I meant that PPGA Celerons would no longer work. I.e. with an upgraded socket, you're always backwards compatible one step; FC-PGA can also do PPGA, FC-PGA2 can also do FC-PGA.

Reply 3 of 3, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:50:
DenizOezmen wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:45:

Thanks for your reply! With that statement, I meant that PPGA Celerons would no longer work. I.e. with an upgraded socket, you're always backwards compatible one step; FC-PGA can also do PPGA, FC-PGA2 can also do FC-PGA.

Ah, right, sorry, I did overlook that detail. In that case, no idea. 😀