VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the sound card for my Pentium 200 machine working, swell- now the NIC card isn't working. If it's not one thing, it's the other, and I'm losing my sanity.

When I run the self-test in the 3Com NIC utility, which is for this model of card, I double checked, it works for a few seconds and says the EEPROM's vital area fails to be able to be read. It says to change the I/O address (I've changed it to every available I/O address the utility lists, well over a couple dozen), and it does not remove this error. It also says to check if it's in a 16 or 32(?) bit ISA slot, the latter of which does not exist unless they're speaking of EISA, which doesn't even use the same connectors as ISA does, so I don't know what garbage it's talking about there.

And that's it. That's all it tells you. I've tried all three ISA slots in the computer to no avail, it still gives this error. I guess the EEPROM's read only area somehow, some way, got corrupted. This is beyond agitating because I'm pretty sure I just got done getting the sound card working, and now we're here. It has been such an infernal nightmare trying to get "time-accurate," parts running in this machine, and I know that whole philosophy annoys some people but when every single piece of hardware in the system is from 1997 or 1996, it's kind of nice to keep it that way if you can. The only other NICs I have were made much later on, at least 1999, going all the way up to 2005, and I'll be damned if I have to concede to doing all that work on that soundcard just because it's from 1996 instead of buying a new one from 1998 just to have my 1997 NIC be replaced by something from '99.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pull the sound card and try the NIC setup again. There may be more issues to that sound card you had issues with than you actually know after reading the Sound card issue thread: Addonics A151-910 YMF718-S Card Resource Conflicts
Seriously: I would try to get the NIC working and then try any other sound card as a test.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have also tried this NIC in a completely different computer, and am getting the same EEPROM Vital Data test failure. I'm guessing this means the EEPROM is somehow bad? I've made sure to clean the contacts on the card so that dirt isn't interfering, I just don't understand how it up and died one day.

Where am I?

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, thanks for the information.
I'm also using an Etherlink III card, but was lucky so far.
Does disabling Shadow Memory help, maybe?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-28, 18:44:

I've seen this happen several times to people on vcfed with the same card. Just about every time it is an addressing conflict.

But I tried every single address on the other computer- I can't believe that every single address on that computer is being used when I can add other cards to the system (ie. modems) which use their own addresses and work just fine. I somehow doubt that address 300h is taken on two entirely different computers as well.

It's very frustrating because if it is an address conflict, it's one that seemingly can't be solved. That's the trouble I've been having, if it is an address conflict, how can I solve it if no addresses I can change it to allow the card to work?

Where am I?

Reply 7 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-28, 18:51:

Interesting, thanks for the information.
I'm also using an Etherlink III card, but was lucky so far.
Does disabling Shadow Memory help, maybe?

Like a BIOS shadow? I can try it, I'll start with the video BIOS shadowing first which I enabled a little while back to get a small performance boost out of the system, and see if that helps.

[EDIT]

I got that confused with the video shadowing capabilities on the 486, my bad. The P200 doesn't allow you to change any shadowing settings at all. Would enabling shared ISA memory size/reserved I/O spaces help? If so, I have 4 different I/O space reserved sections, with no way to differentiate which of the slots or cards the memory reserved settings go to.

20200628_152032.jpg
Filename
20200628_152032.jpg
File size
512.45 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Where am I?

Reply 8 of 8, by Lavitz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I suffered this problem recently and I managed to solve it... sort of xD so here is what I found out and what I did.

Apparently, I think the configuration data and the “vital data” are saved together in the same EEPROM chip. In my case, my card went nuts and configured itself into EISA mode. To get it back to ISA, I started to mess with the EEPROM until I bricked the card. Eventually, I figured out that I had deleted the entire EEPROM (including the vital data) and I managed to restore it back to normal as follows:

1) First, I got the correct EEPROM values from another card. To do so, I configured it into “service mode” connecting two test pads of the card. (I have attached the picture). When this is performed, the values of the EEPROM are ignored on boot and loaded some default values. The card then is found in 0x200 address and it’s EEPROM can be read and patched.

2) The utility to get the EEPROM from the working card and load it again to the faulty one is for Linux (3c5x9setup.c). The data of the working card is as follows:

3c5x9setup.c:v1.00 6/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
No interrupt sources are pending.
3c5x9 found at 0x200.
Indication enable is 0000, interrupt enable is 0000.
EEPROM contents:
0020 afd4 5185 9550 b4c8 0036 4a41 6d50
0010 a000 0020 afd4 5186 bf10 0000 b920
2083 0000 0000 0004 0001 0000 0000 ed05
6d50 9550 5185 afd4 0a0b 1010 1982 3300
6f43 206d 4333 3035 4239 4520 6874 7265
694c 6b6e 4920 4949 5015 506d 0295 411c
80d0 22f7 9ea8 0147 0210 03e0 1010 3779
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
Model number 3c509 version 5, base I/O 0x300, IRQ 10, 10baseT port.
3Com Node Address 00:20:AF:D4:51:85 (used as a unique ID only).
OEM Station address 00:20:AF:D4:51:85 (used as the ethernet address).
Manufacture date (MM/DD/YY) 6/8/90, division 6, product AJ.
Options: force full duplex, enable linkbeat.
The computed checksum matches the stored checksum of b91f.

3) The utility is able to modify only the 32 first bytes (first two lines) so I edited it to be able to flash the rest of the EEPROM data detected by the application (128 bytes). To do so, I modified the 3c5x9setup.c (3C3.c) when invoking the –E parameter (emergency rewrite).

4) I changed the working card by the faulty one, compiled the modified tool and reflashed the EEPROM and voilà! It worked. The card operates normally again but the testing tool keeps failing when checking the EEPROM. This can be because there might be something I did it was not correctly. For instance, I modified the vaule of the MAC in the EEPROM in two places, so both cards can work in the same network without problems, but I did not modify the checksums accordingly. Anyhow, the card is working again, so I think it is ok.

I have attached some pictures to illustrate the explanation and the Linux tool (original and modified)

Attachments

• Filename
    3C3.c
    File size
    17.04 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    3c5x9setup.c
    File size